Another DI Cassette failure problem

My 2001 Saab 9-3 convertible has had a repeated problem with the DI cassette. I purchased it used at around 55k miles and have had it for apx. 3 years and it now has 79k. In that time the DI cassette has been replaced THREE times and just went out AGAIN. I know these are not the most dependable part, but surely 4 in 24k miles is more frequently that usual. My mechanic hasn't told me of a catalytic converter problem that has been mentioned here and the engine light has gone on each time (so thankfully I haven't been stranded or experienced any of the other horror stories mentioned by some here).

Is this just an absurdly expensive repair that I should expect as a result of being a SAAB owner or does anyone know of anything else that might be an issue that would lead to this repeated problem?

Josh

Reply to
jrh

No, this is not anywhere near normal,I think you've set a record. 79K for the first one is somewhat "expected", but the second one should go at least 60K. I hope you're taking advantage of the Saab parts warranty - although I think the problem is yours, not theirs. Also, I hope you are changing these yourself. It's a 10 minute job that anyone can do with tools that Saab gives you.

Are you using the OEM NGK plugs?

As an aside, visit Ebay. If you are patient, you can pick up a spare for under $50 that you can keep in the trunk. Condition will be somewhat unknown, but as long as it works when you get it (test!) then it's good for an unexpected failure.

Reply to
still me

As has already been said. You must use the correct NGK sparking plugs AND you must replace them at the same time as the cassette.

In the mileage the car has done, it should only have had one cassette fail ... if that.

:-) Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Actually, I wanted to double check before responding, but my SAAB does, in fact, have NGK plugs, which were replaced at the time of the last cassette change (although I don't think they were the time before that).

Some of my reading on this subject has indicated that heat and vibration can expedite a cassette failure. I have a slightly bent wheel that causes some vibration at speeds between 55 and 65 mph and my water pump was also failing (not to mention, I live in Florida which is a bit hot during the summer). Has anyone else had an experience where this type of heat and vibration contributed to the failure or am I just coming up with a "post hoc ergo proctor hoc" excuse?

Reply to
jrh

It's possible, but I would be surprised. Wheel vibration would have to be pretty severe I would think. If the water pump was causing high temps, that might contribute... but I'm still suspicious. Maybe if your car has been running in the upper end of the gauge... that might do it.

I guess the obvious solution is to fix those things since they need fixing anyway. You could call Saab and ask if they have seen any similar issues with repeat failure - but they are likely to tell you to visit a dealer and have it checked out for other issues. It might be time to do that once you fix the known issues. Or, at least call around to some dealership service departments, see if you can find a real service manager (vs. a "service writer") and see if they have any feedback. You could also join alldatadiy.com for about $30 and get access to the full text of any TSB's. I'm not aware of any on repeat DI failure modes.

Reply to
still me

What is the warranty on new Saab parts?

Reply to
Brent Riggs

I believe it's 12K/1 year. There might be exceptions for electrical parts or if they think it's your fault - but I would think that at least *one* DI would be eligible for a warranty claim :-)

It should be on the back of your sales slip but if it is not, call the

1-800 # for Saab and ask. They know.
Reply to
still me

First of all, thank you to all those who responded to my inquiry. I have found everyone here to be incredibly helpful and friendly. However, I thought I should let ya'll (yes, I'm from the South) know what the verdict turned out to be (especially if someone else has the same issue). With the help of a very good mechanic (now that the dealer here is gone, if anyone in Tallahassee, FL needs one, backchannel me, and I'll be happy to give you a reference), I ultimately determined that the problem was really two problems. First, and most glaring, was that the crankshaft had simply gone bad. This problem was hardly obvious because the engine was coming up with a "300" code error, which apparently means random misfire, rather than the crankshaft error. Therefore, the incorrect error code was leading my prior techs down the wrong path. Additionally, even though I replaced the battery at 50K miles, it had also gone bad, which was another cause of the problem. Just for good measure, I also had an engine purge done, to remove any excess carbon that might have been causing trouble in the engine.

Since then, she starts up great and drives better than when I first got her. My mechanic told me that when he talked to the Saab tech, he had to tell the guy numerous times that he had already replaced the DI cassette ("Are you sure you replaced the DI cassette?" "YES!") before he began considering other causes.

Thanks again everyone!

Josh

Reply to
jrh

Josh,

I assume you meant to say "the Crankshaft Position Sensor went bad", not the crankshaft. Right?

Reply to
Fred W

has to be or he would have used foul language :-)

Reply to
still me

Yes yes....that's what I meant to say... That and the coolant temperature sensor.

You're right. If it were actually the crankshaft, I'd have been a bit more pissed.

Thanks again ya'll,

Josh

Reply to
jrh