Another Saab900 2.5 V6 question>

My Saab900 2.5 V6 with the automatic transmission started "bucking" and the engine speed jumped up and down while trying to maintain a steady speed up a hill. That was in "D" with the rpms 2000 or under. If I "manually" shifted to 3 or 2 to keep the rpms above 2000, it was smooth.

Obvious I would like to think it is the distributor and not the transmission . . . If it is the transmission, the car is not being fixed.

Fortunately I also have a classic Saab 900 to drive :-) It's red box turbo time!!!

Reply to
ma_twain

The issue is even more disturbing. The uneven engine speed could be due to two things. The head gasket oil leak which has the spark plugs immersed in oil and the possibility the timing belt has jumped. Plus, they also found a cracked exhaust pipe. This car has a newly repaired AC unit, new radiator hoses and new CV joint boots. I am not going to spend any more money on this car. The current problems could be repaired, but what else will fail soon? It is time for me to think about a more reliable car - definitely not another GM Saab.

Any> My Saab900 2.5 V6 with the automatic transmission started "bucking" and

Reply to
ma_twain

Granted - the V6 SAAB is a questionable mill. However - I have to think that brasing the manifold and doing the timing belt when the heads are off (do both gaskets when you are in there) - has got to be cheaper than any replacement that is not itself another beater.

This assumes that the tranny and the body aren't also wallyfux of course.

Reply to
Dexter J

The leak that fills the spark plug recesses with oil is caused by the cam cover seals, they are a circular rubber seal like an o ring and are a lot easier to do than the head gaskets. HTH, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
saabtech

This issue is what else is going to fail at this point. I have heard about the transmission control unit being rather expensive and a predictable failure. I heard about the oil cooler design of this engine. The brakes will need work soon, granted normal wear and tear. I have already spent over $1,600 this year alone on this car. I want to cut my losses. The price of gas is also a motivating factor - looking for something that gets better gas mileage and comes with a warranty :-) I should not have to give up much in terms of performance and handling

- it is a GM V6 with an automatic . . .

Reply to
ma_twain