any one know what 93 Octane in the US is, in RON?

We've just gotten BP/Amoco Ultimate here in the UK. It is listed on the Amoco US site as 93 Octane. On the BP Greece site, it is listed as 100 Octane, but doesn't say whether that is MON/PON/RON rating.

On the pumps, it doesn't state the Octane at all.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Octane in the US depends on where it is and what type of gas it is. Some info:

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Thanks Laura. Now I'm really confused. :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 11/10/03 6:16 pm:

If you want to know what RON BP Ultimate is, there's a thread on Saab Central. I gather it's 97.5 RON (from VW and Saxo forums, found by colleagues) but with the "additives", you get the equivalent of 100 RON. I gather the petrol is like adding one of those "octane booster" products to a normal tank of Super.

I've yet to try the petrol, but my impression of other similar products, such as Shell Optimax, are that they're good for the odd tank here and there, but you're better with normal super unleaded at 97 RON.

I measure petrol performance as a combination of MPG and number of embarrassed Bimmers, although I'm starting to pick more on Mercs now :)

Actually, I find that Optimax produces a less controlled (wandering needle on my calibarated gauge) and sustained top boost compared to normal super unleaded on my car. I'll post my impression of BP Ultimate for the classic

900 when I've tried a couple of tanks.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Now that is useful. What the third article fails to mention is that some cars like SAAB turbos, have APC and will run fine on low grade but perform better on higher grades. Although it alludes to that.

Charles.

Reply to
Charles Stoyer

The dealer told me that when I bought the 9000. He said it would adapt and run on regular but I'd get the best performance at premium. I use mid-level when I'm doing running around town and switch to premium when I'm going to be doing steady Interstate driving. Premium seems to give me a little more "oomph" in the top end.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

On the inside of the fuel filler flap on my 900, it says "Use 98RON fuel". In the Owners manual it says, should use 98ron, but can run as low as 92ron, with the APC handling detonation.

In the UK, the only 98ron fuel "Was(we will have to see how BP ultimate really turns out)" Shell Optimax. if it wasn't for the APC, it would be impossible to get fuel for a Saab to run safely and properly, without resorting to Octane boosters or leaded Aviation fuel. The Av gas option is only available to those with pre-CAT cars as well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

OK, sounds about right.

Yeah. Wasn't overly impressed with Optimax after 2 tanks. MPG went down, and performance didn't alter much.

Fun isn't it. Anything less than a 325, or a 530 is fair game.

Optimax had pretty much the same effect on mine. Not stable at all. I read on the Ultimate website that they will be replacing all SUL pumps with Ultimate pumps eventually.

Strange thing happened after I filled up to. Gave it a £10 of BP SUL, while I was trying to find a garage that sold Ultimate.

then stuck £20 of ultimate in (was down to 1/4 tank of Sainsbury's SUL before) when I found it.

Next day the car would not idle cleanly when cold, and wouldn't idle at all when warm.

Since it had been in for a new timing chain the day before, it was running particularly well on the last bit of Sainsbury's SUL.

Only other change I have made was I found the rubber seal that is supposed to go along between the inner wing and the engine bay, and had fitted that. Wonder if it might have air starvation.

Upped the idle a bit and it ran fine. Later I got some corrugated aluminium foil 100mm hose and hung it from the come filter, across the edge of the inner arch and down into the lower part of the inner arch, so it is working like a budget induction kit.

Didn't try it yesterday, but this morning going to work it seemed a lot better, and idling slightly higher when warm than I had set it, so maybe it was the lack of air getting to the filter. Now of course I've lost a lot of the woosh from the cone filter.

Going to see how it goes this week, and maybe tweak the warm idle down a bit next week end if it stays consistant.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo