any one usinga Blaupunkt CD headunit in their Saabs?

I'm considering buying a Blaupunkt Modena CD headunit for my 900. Not the most classic looking ones, but at least it is black, and a damned site cheaper than a Nakamichi, which I would love, but can't afford.

I want it because Blaupunkt can accept AUX in a simple cable adaptor, instead of a more expensive adaptor box like Sony, or Pioneer.

HU is about £150, adaptor is about £12. And that will improve the sound of my Car PC in leaps and bounds compared to the FM modulator that I'm currently using.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I have the dubious pleasure of using a Blaupunkt Los Angeles unit in my '97

9000. Regrettably, my original Saab Radio/Cassette unit was stolen last month and my insurance company offered me the option of a direct replacement, or an alternative manufacturer's unit.

As I thought the original unit was pretty poor, with the display almost totally faded out, and the sound quality of low quality, I chose the Blaupunkt option.

Although the unit has loads of great features, such as a motorised removable face, MP3 CD support, MMC card reader slot and so on, the sound quality is only marginally better. I am starting to think that this could of course be due to the poor standard speakers that are in the car! But the worst part is that the unit is silver, which really doesn't fit with the black dash and the wood veneer.

It has been a pleasure to have a CD player in the vehicle, and to have a steering wheel remote (even if it is only a strap-on after market one) but the unit's ability to read MP3 CDs appears to be limited and I am sorely tempted to ask the insurance company if I can have another Saab original one as it would certainly look better!

Hope yours works out ok though - the AUX cable function is certainly its best feature. I have virtually given up with MP3 CDs and now use the AUX cable to connect my portable MP3 player. I have found that the input level is not configurable and that it is very low, so be careful when you switch over to radio as you might get deafened!

absgt '97 9000 CSE Anniv. '89 9000 T

Reply to
Aidan Trotter

I've been looking at either a Modena with removeable face in Black. Or a London CD70 that is a flat titanium grey (Not Shiny silver thank god my old Pro plus player was like that,a nd looked awful in the Saab).

I think the Modena and London can have all it's source levels adjusted seperatly, if you did deep enough through the menues.

Only thing that puts me off about the London is the lack of removable front. It uses a "Key" card instead. well that and the grey colour.

More I think about it, I should save the extra £30 and get the more current, but less equiped Black Modena.

CD I have at the moment is a Panasonic simple basic unit. so Blaupunkt will sound at least as good.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I have a new DAB 53 Head unit and use the aux in for my iPod. It looks great in the wood dash in my 93 turbo convertable, sounds great too. ps it was £340 with dab aerial

Reply to
Bobby Dazzler

In article , snipped-for-privacy@crazysucker.net spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Thats great. £340 is a little more than I was looking to shell out, but, I'll have look see, and see how it compares to the models I've been thinking about looks wise.

Cheers

Reply to
MeatballTurbo