Any recommendations for newsgroup access please?

After using Freeserve, then Wanadoo to access this NG for years without tooo much trouble, they have arbitrarily discontinued their newsgroup feed. I'm not keen on paying another subscription for this service, because as far as I'm concerned I'm still paying Wanadoo. So I'm looking for a freebie service that allows me to read *and post* which I can access via Outlook Express rather than IE. Any helpful suggestions please folks?

TIA

Reply to
pidgeonpost

Try seeing if your ISP has a news feed. That's what I use, in tandem with a news reader (Thunderbird or Outlook Express).

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

I think his point is that his ISP is dropping the newsfeed. Not free, but news.individual.net is 10 euro per year, very reliable, and has good spam filtering. No binary groups, but that's what p2p is for anyway.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

As Dave says, my ISP has dropped the news feed. How they have the gall to do this without any form of consultation or a reduction in charges simply amazes me. I'm tied into them until July, but will be looking for a new ISP. I may well try news.individual.net - seems cheap enough....thanks Dave...any more folks?

Reply to
pidgeonpost

Not that you haven't already mentioned. I've long ago given up on using my own ISP as a "everything provider". Too tied to an email address, website, newsfeed - I do each of these separately now. spamcop filters my mail for me, and I can get to it from anywhere in the world. I have my personal and business pages hosted at an actual web hosting company, so the servers aren't going to drop over when a buddy forgets to pay the electric bill (ahem). Newsgroups, I get from news.individual.net, and again I can get there from anywhere, regardless of how I connect to the internet.

So if you think of your ISP as just a way to get an IP address, and handle the rest yourself, you get much more flexibility, portability, and reliability. Write them off as just a way to get an IP, and go it from there however you choose.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"pidgeonpost" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

There are several freebies here:

's also a free service provided by a German university but I can't find the link at the moment.I don't like the way mail programs do usenet so I use Xnews. Nice reader.http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Reply to
Laura K

I prefer GigaNews, or I just access through Saabo.

Reply to
John

If you only access text groups try

I use them (for all sorts) and their block accounts are cheap and don't expire. cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings