Anyone fancy a pint?

I sometimes wonder if we (the people who visit the saab newsgroup) have more in common with each other than our choice of car...

If we ended up in pub together, do you think we would get on with each other better than if it was full of BMW / Volvo / train drivers??

I remember walking to school as a kid and noticing that 8/10 Saab drivers would have a beard, glasses and often a pipe. I don't have any of those, but I do love my Saab ;)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I have a dodgy goatee and glasses, but we've already proved this week that I'm one of the old men on the group :-(

I don't smoke so I cant help with the pipe.

Was getting excited for a mo' thought we were gonna get together somewhere, I mean it wouldn't be entirely a bad idea would it? esp. if a pint was involved.

Al

Reply to
Al

I know a few Saab and Volvo owners who are in many ways similar to myself (I have some of each, the best of both worlds.) There's certain personality traits that seem to gravitate towards Swedish cars, I seem to be compatible with most of them.

Reply to
James Sweet

So, everyone's up for getting a pint?

I guess logistically, the best place would be for all of us to meet in the U.K. (London) because there are now some 24-hour pubs which would work with our schedules.

I don't know if it would be economically feasible for just 1 pint from the East Coast of the U.S. :)

It would be hiliariously funny though! :) I think we would all enjoy it!!

SG

Reply to
SG

U.K. (London) because there are now some 24-hour pubs which would work with our schedules.

East Coast of the U.S. :)

Split the difference - do it Halifax Nova Scotia. Blue water Rock Lobster running $8.99 (Canadian) a pound right now - so we can soak up all that Golden Brown with something decent!..

.. :) ..

Reply to
Dexter J

Beard -Check Glasses -Check Pipe -Nope quit smoking ciggies and cigars about 6 months ago.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

It seems to be "Cold country" cars. A lot of Skoda owners (the real enthusiasts) have similar opinions of other car makers and owners, a love of driving, some level of mechanical self sufficiency, and a love of quirks in vehicles such as have a switchable hot air supply to back seats from the blower in front, that is so good the handbrake got too hot to touch on the unpadded metal part.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

....Oh how I hate stereotyping, but a check in the mirror reveals (though a cloud of pipe smoke) that I also have a beard and glasses... My nearest Saab-driving neighbour also wears glasses and has the beginnings of a wispy beard - but she doesn't smoke a pipe (afaik) :o)

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

Yeah that sounds pretty much like myself, though I've never seen a Skoda other than in pictures.

Reply to
James Sweet

Al - beer is seldom a bad idea.. ;) but I'm stuck in a snow drift in Scotland :0

Reply to
Nasty Bob

....Oh how I hate stereotyping, but a check in the mirror reveals (though a

LOL :)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

running $8.99 (Canadian) a pound right now - so we can soak up all that Golden Brown with something decent!..

Now you're talking.. Really fancy Canada as place to be.. Hot in the summer, Snow in the winter. Do they give out the skidoos when you get off the plane, or do you have to pass a test first??

Reply to
Nasty Bob

You of course know that Nova Scotia means 'New Scotland'?

.. :) ..

As to skidoo's, like SAAB's - an innovative engineering solution provided to a grateful public by a country up to it's backside in snow 6 months a year. Except no lesser substitute is my opinion..

Reply to
Dexter J

Saab 9-3SS drivers are mostly business people in white shirts with their jackets on the hook. 9-5 drivers are more rural set. 9000 has entered banger territory and tends to get raced. I do wear glasses, but that's hardly a choice. Smoking in the car is a disgusting habit.

Reply to
Johannes

Er? what happened to the pint?

Al

Reply to
Al

What about the Classic 900 drivers? Are they more practical? I like the cargo

capacity and easy of loading heavy objects in the back. I have carried 10 foot pipes inside the car. I also like the visibility with the big curved windshield. The performance in snow and ice is also great. Add the SPG package it the new 9-3s have nothing on a Classic. The only thing I would add is the short shift kit - and I have it :-) Could we say Classic 900 owners are real drivers while the 9-3 owners tend to be posers? I have my flameproof suit on :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

A classic 900 is a rare sight around here, even fewer turbos. I suppose most of them have been 'recycled' for lack of a better word. Only nerdy fanatics keep them going. Youngsters looking for a cheap car can't afford the insurance, they prefer souped up Vauxhall Novas or Peugeot 205. But there are still plenty of 9000s around to take over the baton.

Reply to
Johannes

The new ones are just cheaper rebadged VWs, but the older ones were very odd. They kept the rear engine layout for long because behind the iron curtain it was difficult to get western goods, and there was no budget to design a FWD transaxle.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Nerdy fanatics?!?

9000 anywhere near as good as a C900?!!!!!??

Oh PULEASE!

Al

'87 C900 Aero

98 9000 Anni'
Reply to
Al

That debate can go on until the cows come home and there is peace in the middle east.

Reply to
Johannes