Anyone know of a maker white LED-based replacement interior 'lamps'?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer who makes replacement automotive interior lamps (for reading lights, instruments, etc.) using white LED's with integral current-limiting resistors? My two C900's have very few of the internal lamps working and I really detest using filament lamps because of their high current (and consequent high heat output) and their low lifespan.

Surely there has to be a manufacturer of LED-based substitute 'lamps' around for the auto industry... Or is this an idea for a brand-new business! 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

I do, and so can you! It's really very simple. I have some very nice LED instrument panel lights in my C900.

Reply to
Grunff

David Taylor

Well - this site has a lot of stuff, but nobody seems to have a replacement for the little bulbs that are behind my HVAC panel on a 1998 GM900. Since the dealer wants about $9 each for the incandescent ones, I might see if I can build an LED solution. I need to write an electronics supply house an order anyway...

-meld

David Taylor wrote:

Reply to
meld_b

jameco.com would be my first bet, if you're in the USA that is. Where are you?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks very much for that pointer David. I've actually heard of Ultraleds before but they're not very well known here in Australia. They do have everything I need though.

One Australian company (Jaycar Electronics) does actually sell LED-based bayonet-mount replacement lamps for cars, but they don't have the single-LED lamps needed for dashboards, etc.

Regards,

Craig.

-- Craig Ian Dewick ( snipped-for-privacy@lios.apana.org.au).

APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP). Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick