Are all Saab 95's Turbo?

The petrol ones that is, and what does Aero mean, like is it an engine or a trim spec.

Reply to
Roger

Yes, all petrol and diesel 9-5 are turbo. Not all current 9-3 are turbo.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

No, not the ones built from 1960 - 1978

There are no SAAB 95 aeros... :-)

but in the 9-5: both, high power engine and plastic trim on the sides see

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

1959?
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Only a few pre-production models summer & fall 1959 (= model year 1960)

(However, there are some custom built V4 fuel injected turbos out there now....)

-- MH

Reply to
MH

Yeah, about that. I've been looking at this CIS system on the 99 Turbo, and it looks like it would be _very_ straightforward to transplant onto a V4 - is this what people are doing? I mean, a bit of machining and ductwork; the system doesn't know, nor does it need to know, if it's on a V4 or an I4, does it?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, as long as it has an OK air mass meter it should inject the stoichiometricallly correct amount of petrol.

See second picture at

,this is only FI, no turbo.I'm not sure where this particular system came from but basically it is allBosch Jetronic or similar. I do know Bud Clark in Orange County (LA) builds fuel injected V4s too. (Pics 5 and 6 are of a custom 96 V6)

-- MH

Reply to
MH

Many thanks and a nice link. Roger.

Reply to
Roger

The Aero has a larger turbo with more high-end boost. This is great for climbing hills and passing at highway speeds, but *terrible* for quick response and in-town driving with lots of shifts. Because of the way the engine blows off exhaust fumes when you shift (so I'm told by the service guy anyway), the turbo spins down almost INSTANTLY when you shift. Which means you have the long (~1.5-2.0 SECONDS) turbo lag after EVERY shift.

If you want a snappy responsive car, the non-Aero 9-5 might be better.

The Aero (at least in the US trim) also has higher horsepower and torque, 17" wheels, lowered and stiffer suspension, and a few other minor additions.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Not strictly true. The boost pressure is recirculated to prevent turbo stall, and the lag is hardly noticeable.

Reply to
murphwiz

I wish. No matter how fast I shift, I suffer a 1.5 to 2.0 second lag after EACH AND EVERY SHIFT. Which sucks, let me tell you.

I've mentioned this to several Saab service guys &etc and they all shrug and say it's "normal" and due to the larger turbo and/or an intentional measure to reduce pollution from blow-by exhaust or some such. Why the turbo has to down instantly at each shift is beyond me....

Just saying "nah, it doesn't do that" won't do me any good. I've tried to get several service guys to do something about it and they say that's the way it's "supposed to" work. If you have DEFINITE SOLID INFORMATION about how this is not normal *and* how to fix it, I would love to hear it. I've got about a month left before my warrantee expires.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

...in addition to incredibly anemic low-end. I have to slip the clutch to keep from killing the thing when starting out, unless going really slowly.

Anyone? Anyone?

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Can you find another one at a dealer somewhere to test drive?

Reply to
James Sweet

Only automatics, and the auto tranny has enough slush in the response that it's a bit difficult to tell what comes from the turbo lag and what comes from the auto. I also strongly suspect that the Aero was really *designed* for an auto tranny (ick) because the auto would probably handle the anemic low-end and the turbo spin-down at shift better than a human shifter could.

Plus the dealer is in the middle of a city and it's tough to really give it a test. But when I did it, it seemed not that much better than mine, which was when I gave up trying to convince the service dept that something was wrong with mine.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz