Autogas LPG for 9000

Hallo, hat hier jemand schon mal einen 9000er auf Autogas (LPG Bifuel)umrüsten lassen und kann die Erfahrungen damit schildern ?

Mfg Axel

Hello, is someone here who has an Autogas (LPG Bifuel) equipped 9000 ?

Greetings Axel

Reply to
Axel Schaefer

No problem, my 900i was on LPG and there are lots of 9000s on LPG here in NL

Reply to
MH

That's something I have not come across here in Australia. LPG is the fuel of choice for most Taxi's (at least here in Sydney), almost like diesel is the fuel of choice for taxi's in London.

But I've not yet come across any Saab 900's in Oz that are set up to run on LPG.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

It is very common in NL and other parts of Europe, and Asia

e.g. see

MH

Hi Axel, LPG in most 9000's is absolutely no problem, as long as it is a non turbo or LPT. High Pressure Turbo's (like AERO's) don't combine well with LPG. If you live anywhere near the border to Holland, Belgium or France you'r have no problem to have it umgerüsted accross the border. On the german saabforum

there is a lot of info (search for lpg and read many experiences of german users with LPG)

Good luck/viel Erfolg Nel

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

No, LPG can be used in turbo engines as well. LPG has a very high octane rating (> 100) so the APC will take advantage of that and allow high boost.

Reply to
MH

Talking of which....

Have you seen the info on the 'flexible fuel' 9-5 ? It's designed to run on any mix of 'gas' and ethanol from regular unleaded to E85 ( 85% ethanol ).

There's significantly extra power ( and torque ) to be had on E85 - again due to the high octane rating.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes. Most new cars, including Saabs, can be ordered with a factory installed multi fuel option. (I will stick with my '79 96 on LPG though)

Reply to
MH

Sure? I hear most people saying (also on the local

that 9000 HiPressTurbo Aero's on LPG are a big NONO...

Reply to
Nel

At the SOC in Belgium I talked to mr Martens, of

whowas there with a 900 turbo on LPG. No problems he said.

Reply to
MH

LPT or FPT, that's the key it seems.

Reply to
David Taylor

It is the type of LPG install that is the problem. It is doable though. Latest spec LPG installs use a seperate set of injectors, and their own ECU and a "bypass" to fool the factory ECU into thinking it is still working.

Older systems just used something like a carburetor to do the same thing, and just tricked the ECU with the readings it was getting, rather than bypassing it.

The C900 turbo, and all FPT 9000 models are too advanced for the "Cheap" LPG conversions that tend to be setup for carb and early injection systems. Later models need modern setups. It just need a more careful setup of fuel to air and monitoring with LPG. You can even get vehicles that can run 100% of the time, even at startup on LPG, because the system pumps it as a liquid into the engine instead of petrol. Once started it returns to pumping it as gas, and the engine runs as a normal LPG run.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yes, the LPG systems get more and more sophisticated. See e.g.

MH

Also, some of the megasquirt ecu project guys are looking at LPG V8 engines starting with "gaseous" LPG instead of vapourised petrol, before switching, so that they can run full timetime gas, instead of having to be bifuel/dual fuel.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2