Aux stereo input

Hi all

I want to add an auxiliary input to my 9-3's stereo so I can plug in my MP3 player. I tried a couple of FM modulators, but the quality is rubbish, either poor signal or electrical interference, plus there's never enough gain.

Is there a way of plugging straight into the OEM unit for an Aux input? It must be able to deal with one, as these head units can be used with a CD changer. And will it need to be zapped with the main dealer's tech tool thing?

I'd rather not ditch the original stereo, but I may have to just bite the bullet and put in an after-market MP3 head unit. Trouble then is I'll need the faceplate adapter, wiring harness and the steering wheel control adapter. More expense!

My car's a 1999 model SE T

Thanks in advance!

Dan :-)

Reply to
1

You should peruse

forums. I know there is a workaround for the 2003/2004 9-3...

Reply to
Dan

There is a very good page about the standard stereo at

The standard unit has pre-out, unfortunately I can't see any facility for connecting a line-level input. I'm not sure if the line outputs are buffered, if not they may be bi-directional, but I haven't tried this. Note trying to use them as inputs would be a bit of a compromise anyway because you would have to silence the tuner/cd output whilst using them. So it doesn't look promising.

Reply to
dbird

I found some suitable links on the SaabCentral forums so I'm part-way through the modification to my existing head unit to use the telephone input to accept a stereo signal. Nearly there - I've got right channel, left is a bit fuzzy but I'll be delving in there later! Then all I need is a switch to fool the system into thinking it's on phone mute. If anyone's interested, the links are (probably among others):

D :-)

Reply to
1