Backup lights stopped working

Hi all,

All of a sudden the backup lights stopped working on my '89 900. I've replaced the bulbs and nothing. The fuse is fine though I replaced it to be sure and still nothing. Very strange. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? My inspection is coming up and it won't pass like this.

Thanks.

Reply to
wemic

My guess is the wires have come off the backup light switch on the transmission or said switch has failed.

Reply to
James Sweet

I just love funny US terminology. I wondered what it was 'til I realised it was the reversing light.

I expect there's a switch on the gearbox that may be the problem.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I was afraid of that after I posted. Is it a difficult fix?

Reply to
wemic

It's not on the gearbox, the switch is on the side of the gear lever casing. And it's very unlikely that the wires have come off. Either the switch has failed, or the plunger has worn down.

You can access it by removing the centre console. The procedure for doing this has been written up here a few times before. If it's your first time, allow 2-3 hours.

Reply to
Grunff

I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I'd hope it shouldn't be too tricky though. Depends where the switch is located really.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

...and to us the term "reversing" light is odd.

Reply to
Fred W

You do have the letter 'R' on the lever though ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It's possible that the wire has come loose (or become corroded) at the wiring harness on the right rear light cluster. I had this problem with my brake lights.

John

Reply to
John B

Really? I could swear I saw it down there on the side of the gearbox, but then maybe I'm just remembering wrong. I know my Volvos have it on the gearbox, in a very difficult place to reach it too.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've never seen it on the gearbox, but that doesn't mean it never was. Certainly on all the 900s I've owned (about a dozen, ranging from

1981-1993) it was on the gearshift housing.
Reply to
Grunff

Yes, we call that "reverse", not "reversing".

Reply to
Fred W
2-3 hours, eh? Yikes. I'll have to run to the parts store and see if they have the switch. I'll do a search for the center console procedure.
Reply to
wemic

That would be the 5th gear switch, which turns off the "Shift Up" light on US market cars?

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

Would a messup at that wiring harness at the rear light cluster cause a failure of the front [side] reversing lights?

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr