Bad SAAB day

Greetings one and all,

Well, this has been an unhappy day for me and the Green Machine. My 92 900S (2.1L, non-turbo, 5-speed)decided to start having issues.

Issue#1: Even after replacing and tensioning all of my v-belts, my car is squealing like a stuck pig. Everything that I can see in my research indicates that the harmonic balancer pulley needs to be replaced. I have never done one of these and it looks like a witch to get to.

Issue#2: My wife told me that we had a dead battery this morning. Connected a charger to the battery and noticed that the brake lights came on. Pumped the brakes once and the lights went off. Guess it's time to replace a brake switch.

Issue#3: My wife said that she tried to start the car, and pushed the gear shift to get it out of reverse and it broke! That's a new one on me. I have never had a car where the gearshift broke! Fortunately, English-Swedish is only 40 minutes away and I can pick up a used lever for $25.

Man, this day sux!

Reply to
JAnderson

I have heard this happening a couple of times on manuals, rare, but does happen.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

This happened to me a few months ago with my '91 900S. The "new" design gear shifter (introduced in '90 or '91 or something) does seem inferior in terms of design. I broke mine off shifting (firmly, but by no means aggressivly) into 3rd gear. Luckily it started bending wildly before it actually snapped (and I was able to drive it a short distance home).

I wasn't so lucky to find a cheap one. I ended up paying the full $2xxUSD for the shifter. I wondered whether I could have substituted an old style shifter (much cheaper) instead, but decided not to risk it. I tend to treat the gear shifter very delicately now. :)

Hans

Reply to
Hans L

Could get lucky and find the brake switch is either maladjusted - too sensitive or has worked loose. Probably not but can't hurt to check. Regards

Reply to
hippo

Could get lucky and find the brake switch is either maladjusted - too sensitive or has worked loose. Probably not but can't hurt to check. Regards

Reply to
hippo

Oops - sorry for the double posting. I'll sit in the corner for the rest of the evening.

Reply to
hippo

Oops - sorry for the double posting. I'll sit in the corner for the rest of the evening.

Bad Hippo!

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I will check on that - it is just difficult getting up under the dash... :o)

John

Reply to
John Anderson