Badges and Protection

Hello All,

I have a 2005 9-3 Linear and the badge on the vehicle's trunk has been damaged and is now off the car. Is this bad for the vehicle? I notice two holes where the badge fits in, but I can't determine if inside these holes the car may be susceptible to damage from moisture or the like? How soon should I get it replaced, or does it need to be replaced?

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

Anywhere moisture and dirt can gather and not be removed is a potential for corrosion. The choice is yours. If it is under warranty, I would contact your dealer for a replacement. They run around $60 for the part, and it just presses on with double-sided tape that is on it. The two holes are for alignment.

Reply to
Certainly

That's GM's influence for you !

I'd hope you WANT to replace it !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Less than $60 from independents. They do seem to be second sourced which may actually mean a better made part in this case.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

From what I read, this is a problem that has been around longer than GM's influence.

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

I am checking with the Saab Dealer near me to see if they will do it at no cost under warranty. If not, then I am going to go to another independent to get the stuff. I very much dislike the dealer near me, and the only reason I go there is to get free warranty service done. Other than that, its not worth the pain. I'd even pay more to go somewhere else, but it is almost always less when I go elsewhere.

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

They lasted longer than THREE years before GM !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It sucks when the local dealer is not the first place you would want to take your car, it's really inconvenient.

Reply to
The English Patient

Mine is glued on tight - it came off after some particularly vigorous polishing ;)

Reply to
The English Patient

Well, yes, it does. :-) However, there is a ``local'' in-state parts store which seems to have good pricing on most things. Additionally, there is the mechanic or two which are available for Saabs in this area, so I am not Entirely Out of Luck. The Dealer did give me a free oil change. :-P

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

My old 900, the colour bleached off before the badge was removed. And it was well fastened on. Lasted 19years before it was replaced.

Reply to
Elder

As far as I know, the problem did start with Gm's first buy in around

1993/4. However, the Badge was still as Saab part as far as I know.

GM doesn't put anything like that on any other models. Also, the badges rarely fall off. Usually the paint falls off the surface. The root of the problem is that they chrome it, then paint it. Nothing sticks to chrome.

Reply to
still just me

Mine was done under warranty. No hassles, seemed routine.

Reply to
still just me

still just me (still just me ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Must have imagined the plain silver circle on the front of the bonnet on my '90 c900, then.

Still, a new 'un only cost me a fiver and took two minutes to fit.

Reply to
Adrian

Interesting. Well, like I said (part you cut out) this did not seem to be a GM part issue anyway. The badge was still a Saab item.

Nowadays they are $40-$60 depending on where you get it. Ouch.

Reply to
still just me

still just me (still just me ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I bought mine last autumn. OK, £15. My bad.

Reply to
Adrian

Is that an on-line source? Over here (just checked) they are $32 rear / $42 front.

Reply to
still just me

I have an appointment now to get the badges replaced, and the service representative indicated that it would be performed at no cost whatsoever to me. They even jumped me when I started talking about badges.

Me: ``Yeah, so, I have some badges---'' Them: ``They chipped off, didn't they? Yeah, we can fix that.'' Me: ``Oh, great.''

:-)

Reply to
Aaron Hsu

still just me (still just me ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Adrian

Nice, thanks!

Reply to
still just me