Battery Life

Guys, i recently purchased a 1993 Saab 9000 CSE and took it for some servicing. I was told the battery is going to need changing asap. The car has a 75A battery already installed, but i am unable to find a battery with the same current in the market (I dont want to buy from the company because it is a rip off). I also do not have the manual for the car. Can i find an online version of the car manual? Can i install a battery with a higher current than 75A without risking any power cuts?

Reply to
john

john ( snipped-for-privacy@shebaya.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Of course. The battery just delivers the current required of it by the circuits drawing power.

It'll be rated as 75Ah - amp/hours - which means that it'll (roughly) deliver 75 amps for an hour before being flat. Or 25 amps for three hours. Or 5 amps for 15 hours. There's also a CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating, which is considerably higher. That's the maximum amount of power it'll deliver to the starter motor.

Reply to
Adrian

Somewhere there is a manual for 9000uk 1989 that I downloaded and used for my '93 9000 CSE until I bought one on ebay. It was close enought.

Don't know where I got it but if you want it, I'll make it available for download but it's a 20 meg zip.

If your Russian is good, there's a '94 manual at:

Frank

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Frank Vuotto

As Adrian says, don't worry too much about the capacity.

You do, of course, need to get one which physically fits, works with whatever arrangement your car has for clamping it down and has the right type of terminals in the right place for your cables.

Pretty-much any place that sells batteries will be able to look your car up and sell you something suitable.

As an aside, I've never been able to work out why there's so many different types of car battery. Surely a standard "big", a standard "medium" and a standard "little" would be so much more efficient...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp