Best tires for '94 9000 CSE?

Hi all,

It is time for new shoes on my '94 CSE I have stock 15" wheels and have been running Dunlop SP5000 sports on it for the past couple of years. Size 205. Should I stick with the Dunlops or switch to something else? If so what else?

I live in So. Cal so never see snow, do some spirited driving, but with the traffic I face I can't get too spirited .

The roads here have lots of potholes and patches so I want something that gives a good ride but has good grip in wet and dry.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Craig

I've just gone through the same thing with my 9-3 convertible. I had Pirelli P6000's which I have to say do no suit 9-3 convertibles. On recommendation I have changed to Goodyear F1's and its transformed the car. There is far less tram-lining and less road noise transmitted to the cockpit. The tyres may not last as long but the grip is great wet or dry. I live in the UK and the F1's seem great for our roads and weather.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Reply to
IanS

After leaving Dunlop SP8000's (best tires I've owned; just too short lived [now called SP9000s) I tried a set of Toyo Proxes IV's, 205/50/16 91V. WOW! Not as sticky as the 8000's; but they're rated for 30K miles... Like you, snow isn't a concern here in Georgia. However rain is always issue (usually at rush-hour... ). Happy to say the Toyo's part water like Moses. I know a number of other spirited drivers (Honda S2000s, CLKs, Nissan Maximas) switching to the Proxes IV's. Happy hunting.

Reply to
J. Harris

Reply to
Craig M. Bobchin

I wonder what they'll do with such tyres after 30 days?

I've recently got Firestone Firehawk 205/55/16 on my 9k. But that had more to do with the tyre fitter than my own choice. I haven't noticed anything bad about them; they quietly go about their business of driving my car.

Reply to
Johannes

I was going to suggest the Triple Treads. I bought the same tire (195/60-15) in January because of their high rating for snow traction, but didn't think my findings would be applicable to your warm weather driving environment. At the time I decided that it wouldn't be cost effective to buy dedicated snow tires and then also have to buy summer tires in a few months for a car this old. They seem to track the grooves a little more than the Michelins I had before (Energy MXV 4), but every other characteristic appears to be improved. I no longer spin the tires on paint stripes when the road is wet. I even seem to be getting about 10% better gas mileage. I think you will be happy with your selection.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Yokohama AVS Dbs are pretty nice. Good in the wet, pretty sporty. I like to get a stiff sidewall tire for these cars. You usually have to get a V rated tire to do this though, and those are getting harder to find. The

9k is the wife's car, and we just had to get 2 tires. I have a couple Kuhmo 716s now, H rated, though. Too early to tell how nice they'll be, but they are not objectionable yet.

Keith

Craig wrote:

Reply to
KeithG