Blower fan noise

My 97 9000 Aero has developed an intermittent squeaking coming from the air conditioning blower. It's probably a bearing in the fan rather than a problem with the blower motor itself. When the fan is squeaking and I turn a corner, the squeaking stops, then restarts when I resume driving straight ahead. It's minor now but annoying. I removed the plastic tray that spans the width of the engine compartment to see how tough it would be to take care of the problem. But of course, I can't get it to make the noise when I'm standing there. My mechanic said it would be around $800-900 to take care of this issue, but that would include a replacement of the heater core. He said that would be a smart move since he would already be in there. But when I look at the system, it appears to me that the fan housing with the fan unit is right on top and easily accessible.

Has anyone ever done this job? How tough is it? Am I missing something that makes it much more difficult than it appears?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

I replaced the heater fan assembly in my 86 9000T, probably similar as the body style was pretty much the same.

The heater fan is the first thing they put into the car, the rest of the car is built around it! It's surprising how much stuff you have to take off to get the darned thing out (including the throttle body, the fan assembly won't clear with it there). There's a very good install/remove procedure in the Haynes book on the 9000, I recommend it. Budget about 3-5 hours to do the job.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

"There's a very good install/remove procedure in the Haynes book on the 9000, I recommend it. Budget about 3-5 hours to do the job"...

Or just turn up your radio... ;)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

The front engine compartment changed a bit when 9k was introduced the "E" model (CDE, CSE). Yours(-97) is newer style - the change took place on -92/93 or something like that...

On older front compartment indeed the change of Heater Core & blower motor is pain in #¤%#. As the space is very limited to get out the blower housing.

In Technical sense the replacement in either models is NOT difficult,,,

In newer models it should be a bit more easy as there is more room to work and get things out.

You might want to check out:

SuoTimo ______________

Michael wrote:

Reply to
SuoTimo

DITTO! I did it on a '95 in a couple of hours. My 97 started doing the same. this is on a motor that has already been replaced. I am thinking of removing it to lube the bearings before it kills the drive transistor. The change was probably when the new block was introduced in

94 for sure. The lower intake manifold makes it much easier. I have never looked at a '93, so I cannot be sure that it is much different than a '92.

KeithG

SuoTimo wrote:

model (CDE, CSE).

pain in #¤%#.