Body parts compatible with '83 900s ?

I have a 1983 900S (3-door) that needs a variety of body parts (interior and exterior). I was thinking of buying a cheap parts car to give me a ready supply and I was wondering what year models besides 83 I could get away with. Is there a reference (book or on-line) that tells the style changes on Saabs from one year to the next?

thanks, Leighton

Reply to
Leighton Hasselrodt

The body shell is the same for the whole run (79-93). All body panels, including moving parts (doors, bonnet, boot) are interchangeable.

Minor facelift in 88/89, with new grille, headlights and bumpers. These will fit older models, as long as you transfer them all at the same time.

Interior completely interchangeable between the same body styles (i.e. 3dr > 3dr, 5 dr > 5dr).

That's about it.

Reply to
Grunff

But ddn't the seat mounting change over the years?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes, good point - at some point, not sure exactly when, the driver seat mounting changed. Earlier cars had a horrendous setup using L shaped 'pins' at the back of the seat (my 86 has that setup), but on later ones the seat is just bolted in place.

Reply to
Grunff

yeah. My '85/85 rattly quick release driver seat. Passenger seat bolts in front and back as most cars do.

I think the slot in pins was something to do with height/angle adjust on the drivers seat on the early ones. Rather than use a normal mechanical adjust they went with the flip over tab that had to allow the seat to slide in it's mounting.

I guess some wear and tear of the hinge at the front, and theslip in hoops on the floor has left some rattle now.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Just been out to compare, and I think (may be wrong, but looks that way) that the later bolt-down seat will bolt onto the hoops of the earlier pin setup. The car I have with the later (bolted down) setup is bolted onto very similar hoops as the pins fit into.

Reply to
Grunff

Hmm, now I just need to know A) Whether 9000 Aero Recaros (the ones with the Shoulder wings) are the same as the later 900 fitment. B) Whether there was ever a burgundy Leather 9000 Aero interior?

That would be just about the Ultimate, and would go well with the standard burgundy rear seat, until I could find a 900 hatch burgundy rear in leather.

I had a quick look at where the seat pins fit into the loops.

I wonder if 20 years of braking forces and weight transfer forward have bent the hoops up just a touch (maybe about 1-2 mm), and allowed that little bit of rattle in. Seems that is where the rattle comes from, you can "Lift" the pins in their slots a touch, and they tap against the slots. Can't see a Saab being like that from new with their attention to detail on other things like hydraulic lifters, heavy sound deadening etc, to noise levels down.

Wonder if a few gentle taps with the heavy hammer on the loops/hoops would reset them to position where there is less play on the pins?

Just hoipe I don't get carried away, and snap them off.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Pass on both of those.

On mine I think what's happened is that the notches in the pins (which allow a high and low position) have worn a little, and it doesn't take much to make it rattle.

If you're handy with a MIG you can easily fabricate your own seat mounts, that way you can use whatever seats you want in there.

Reply to
Grunff

I do like the Saab seats. but like you say, then I could maybe get a set of 9k Recarros in too Yummy.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo