Boost probs - T16 1984

Decided to keep the old Saloon :-) . Passed it's retest so now it's got a full 12 month MOT after putting a recon caliper and a new tyre on. The foglights were already working - the tester must have been pressing the wrong switch the first time!

I took the car up the road for earlier and noticed it's not boosting full all the time. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it only about 1/3 the way into the orange - base boost I presume. Seems a possible loose connection. I've checked the wiring to the solenoid and it's not cracked or showing signs of heat damage. Tests OK on a multimeter. Driving along in 4th, it would only pull base boost. Another time, similar speed and level road, it would boost all the way to the red.

What should I check? I've also replaced all underbonnet vacuum hose and clipped it on.

Oh - what can I use to clean a headlining? Gentle steaming didn't work. The headlining is in very condition apart from really dirty/smelly of cigarettes.

Thanks! Mike

Reply to
Mike P

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Mike P at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 08/08/2004 18:19:

Yay!

I would look over the APC box first. Make sure it is plugged in an connected okay. If the box is missing or badly connected, you get basic boost.

I would also check whether your brake lights are stuck on. Again, if the brake is applied, only basic boost is possible. I had a hair-trigger brake switch not so long back that would alarmingly hit redline sometimes and other times only basic boost. When you press the brake you should hear a little "tick" from the LHS footwell. If you pull the air flue aside and the LHS speaker out of its aperture you'll have enough light to what's what down there.

Nice :)

I would think some kind of dry cleaning would be best, but I'd bow to the better experience of others.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

wrote

Yay! Indeed. What a top car!

Box was there where it should be under the seat, no problems with connections.

Fine too. What wasn't OK was the manky wire I hadn't checked from the knock sensor. Spliced a new piece in, problem solved. Full boost all the time, APC working perfectly again :-) My £69 Saab is looking like a bargain! It's getting new oil, filters, plugs, leads cap and rotor arm at the weekend and I'll set the timing. Then I might start on sorting the rust on the front arches.

Happy Saabing

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Mike P at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 12/08/2004 21:50:

That's great news Mike - enjoy the beast :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday