Brake Light Switch

Classic 900 T8 MY 1989

How long should the plunger on the brake light switch be? The reason I ask is my brake switch has turned hair-trigger on me today and consequently boost cuts over anything other than a perfectly smooth road. I found I had to pull the brake pedal up with my foot otherwise the brake lights would stay on and basic boost situation on the turbo.

I removed the brake light switch and inspected it. The plunger was about 4mm long and given a little jimmying seemed to pop out and bit more, expending it to about 6mm long. I re-fitted the switch and it was okay for a while, but returned to a hair-trigger action within a few minutes of driving.

I read in the Haynes that there should be 10mm travel on the brake pedal before the switch would click, so I packed up the flange that holds the switch closed with a 5mm shim. This seems to have done the trick, but I can't help thinking that the plunger on the switch should be longer and therefore more travel on the brake pedal would be required to unload the switch, causing the brake lights to operate.

To return to my question: How long should the plunger on the brake light switch be? Do I need a replacement?

TIA,

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday