broken alu-brackets at lower control arms

I have to replace the aluminium brackets from either end of the bush (front lower control arms)

Fotos:

Has anyone already done this, is it difficult? How did you do it?

The car is a 9000 CSE 2,3 Turbo from 1994.

Bye, Andreas

Reply to
artischok

For the rear one, there is a plate to remove with 4 bolts, then take the nut off the end off the bush and pull it off. When replacing do this nut up with the suspesion in its working position. Front one, is probably easier to do with the suspension arm off as the bush needs to be pressed out. Remove 3 bolts for ball-joint. remove roll bar. Remove rear bush if not out already. Undo nuts from front bush bolts and push the bolts back with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

"Richard Sutherland-Smith" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@richard.ss.clear.net.nz...

Also,

has an excellent guide on how to do this, with pics.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Is this another one of saabs "guaranteed" failure items? After reading this thread., I checked my 9000 and both front brackets are starting to crack open.

Reply to
Spindle

Reply to
Spindle

@ Richard and Kristian: Thanks for your help and the link.

@ Spindle: Yes indeed, aluminium doesn't seem to be the appropriate material. In a forum I read that some people use handmade high-grade steel ones by now. On the other hand, these brackets aren't very expensive (1 piece around 6 Euro/Dollar) and - what I found out this morning - if you have a close look, you' ll notice that it doesn't really matter ( or at least doesn't seem to be dangerous) that the fallen off parts of the brackets are missing as long as the part right behind each nut hasn't disappeared, too. ("Is this another one of saabs "guaranteed" failure items? ... Mine are worse than I originally noted. The upper one are cracking also...")

Thanks again, Bye,

Andreas

Reply to
artischok