broken spring...

Hello - I seem to have a broken spring in the front of a 1998 900S... I went over a speed bump that was really nastily shaped. I didn't think I was going fast at all and there was a rather big bang. I thought louder than on the way going in which I took at a similar speed.

Anyway I jacked the car up and looked around for loose stuff (because that's what it sounded like) and found a ~4" chunk laying in the bottom spring cup. I know that this wouldn't pass inspection, but I can't really feel any difference in handling. Is there any harm in driving it and then testing to see how the inspection process really works? I had a Mazda once where they found the broken spring and I couldn't see it at all. It was rusty and I believed them. Maybe shame on me.

Sorry if this has been discussed too much... I search and didn't find any notes.

Thanks,

-MELD

Reply to
meld_b

Well, I'd replace it. Also, having it with a broken end in there may damage the spring cup and then you will end up replacing the strut.

Is your car due for shock replacement? It's the same job, no extra labor, just the cost of the spring.

Reply to
Bob

Since you hit a nasty speed bump hard enough to break a spring, I would inspect the complete suspension for other bent/broken parts, alignment issues, and the rim/tire for damage. You don't want to find these issues later the hard way - at high speeds.

Reply to
ma_twain