C900 5-speed: doesn't engage in any gear: second opinion?

Looking for a second opinion on this one: C900 (89 900S, 5 speed), rolls around in any gear, including reverse. Clutch and slave cylinder appear to be working fine.

Any experience with this one out there?

thanks! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

How did it fail? Was it being driven at the time? What happened?

Reply to
Grunff

Just didn't work the next morning. Shifter seems to find all 6 gear spaces; engine starts up and clutch disc appears to be engaging and dis-engaging correctly.

My guess is the chain in the transfer case.

GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

It's very, very rare for the (triplex!) transfer chain to break. What's even more rare is for a chain of any type to break overnight, when it's just sat there doing nothing.

I think it's either a clutch of a gearbox problem - my first guess is that the clutch isn't engaging. Test this by popping off the clutch end cover (at the front, just by the rad), and seeing whether the little oil fliger spins when you select a gear.

Reply to
Grunff