C900 Aero....... or is it?

Ok, I know I'm always asking questions, and rarely helping out, but give me time guys and one day I may have a tenth of Grunff's knowledge. Which will make me very knowledgeable indeed.

As some of you will know, I own a 9000CSE with the Full Pressure Turbo. Whilst it's a hoot to drive, it's cost me a fortune, and frankly I miss my C900.....

So I bought another one on ebay.......:-))))

Frankly I am just taking a punt on this one, it needs some work, esp. to locks and dashboard where thieving scum nicked the previous owners radio. I got it for a song, in my opinion.

The car was advertised as a classic 900 Aero(1988), but I don't think it is. What makes a C900 an Aero? (UK spec) websites I've been to so far seem to mix up the T16 Turbo and the Aero, how can I tell? There is no mention on the V5 but I don't think they always state Aero anyway.

Can someone either spell it out for me, or give me a link?

I don't actually get the car until Thursday, and I only have the new keepers part of the V5, so cannot currently give out the VIN numbers.

Many thanks.... (I'm not going to pull out of the deal, or ask for a reduction, it is a T16, and it does go like off a chrome shovel!)

(Anyone want a 9000CSE FPT? Its on the saab owners club website)

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

This is a 1992 900S 16v aero

aero 'skirts', LPT, no intercooler

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Very interesting. All US SPGs, I believed, (1992 for sure) came with leather. I just walked away from a car that was sold as a European Aero, thinking that it was a souped up European delivery car. It had gray velour upholstery, and the badge on the back said 900 Turbo. I see these Aero pictures show gray velour upholstery, too, but the identification on the back is what I would expect - none (US SPGs only say "Saab" on the back).

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

I thought the difference between (UK) T16s and Aeros was that the latter all had intercoolers and body kits, while the former didn't (although some T16s definitely had intercoolers but no body kits).

Reply to
Grunff

Are we talking about factory cars or possibly modfied cars?

My 1993 C900 turbo has the red box, lowered suspension, three spoke wheels just like the pictures, heated power leather front seats, leather interior, wood dash, CD player and a short shift kit. The short shift kit was an add on. How much more is not factory, I am not sure.

Reply to
ma_twain

Oddly enough, the LPT with body kit (at 145 BHP but no intercooler) it listed on the V5 as an "Aero" where the T16S with bodykit (at 175 BHP with intercooler) is not!!! Maybe the later ones, say, 1992/1993 did, but the earlier "proper" Aeros did not. What makes an Aero is if it is the same spec as the Swedish Aero or US SPG ... essentially, the UK T16S with intercooler and bodykit. It might also have a red box APC, but still be the 175 BHP model rather than the 185 BHP model that the red box would suggest. For a great resource on APC boxes, see

If you've got a T16S (which will have "SAAB" on the LHS of the boot, then the round Griffin and "turbo S" or sometimes "900 turbo S" on the RHS with a "16 Valve" badge underneath), with intercooler and the Aero bodykit, just double check the APC box number to confirm the performance spec.

Do not confuse the Aero with the 'Airflow', which is a slightly different bodykit released in 1987 and best exemplified as the UK 'Carlsson' model. Oh, there were T8 Aeros, too - 1989 run-out models for the Swedish market. The UK got the T8S - see my "Specials" site at

You'll have made a nice purchase, whatever!

Paul

Reply to
pjgh

One of my Saab friends bought the pictured car here in NL, but originally it was delivered in Italy.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

[...]

Yes, don't worry about it Al. The car looks in fantastic condition.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Er...you haven't seen my car, (as far as I know!) but I also liked the photos in the thread above of a smashing Aero...

You can see my purchase at....

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com From these pictures can anyone get any closer to the truth, Aero or not? Just interested, I was very impressed with the 3/4hr test drive and I know I won't be disappointed whatever when I take possession on Thursday.

I have no idea whether it has an intercooler or not, I assume its possible to retrofit a good second-hand one? plus a red box apc......

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

The intercooler looks like a radiator, about 9"x12" in size behind the LHS headlamp. If it doesn't have one, yes, you can get a second hand one ...

will be able to source you onewith all the required pipework. Here's a page showing how on an older 8valve model:
... also, theAPC box can be "made up" to red box specification by adjusting a coupleof screws with the assistance of a multimeter. Depending on the boxpart number, a couple of resistors and a capacitor might also needexchanging.

Let is know what's under the bonnet when you get the car. There'll be a flood of advice once we know what's under there :)

Paul Halliday

1989 900 T8 Special
Reply to
pjgh

Yup, you guys and gals have never let me down yet! Can't wait until Thursday, thinking of taking a leave day on Friday just to play....

I'll be getting back to you on that APC adjustment and the presence or not of an intercooler, I know what it looks like as I have one on my current

9000, but I didn't look for one when I purchased.

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

[...]

What does it look like on a 9000. Can you retrofit one?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

The 9000 IC is *huge* - considerably bigger than a C900 /radiator/. I'm sure given enough time and patience you could probably squeeze one into a C900, but it would be a major job.

Reply to
Grunff

How can I know if my 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT has intercooler or not?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Open the bonnet and follow the plumbing between the turbo and the intake manifold. Should be obvious if there is an intercoler or not. If there are only pipes and no 'radiator', it has no IC.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH

Follow the tubes/hoses from the throttle body back to the turbo. If it goes like this

[throttle body]
Reply to
Goran Larsson

You will enjoy it - especially with the red box! I had fun with mine today. Sunny day, dry roads and light traffic!

Reply to
ma_twain

in article snipped-for-privacy@sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssizefitter.com, Johannes H Andersen at snipped-for-privacy@sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssizefitter.com wrote on 06/02/2005 14:46:

I'm almost certain that the LPT does not have an intercooler. Follow the pipework from the turbo to the throttle to make sure. Grunff's right - the

9000 IC is huge; you'd know it's there!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 06/02/2005 13:36:

Here's a walkthrough with a Volvo 740 IC (better flow rate than the 9000 IC):

The guy pictured got the car pictured up to 280 BHP ... And, erm, sold it for a Golf!!! AFAIK, the car is alive and well and still high powered.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I recognise that Pete Tandino.