[c900] Clutch Pedal Travel

I have a 1985 UK spec (right hand drive) 5dr which has a lot of travel in the clutch pedal before it does anything and it struggles to disengage with what usable travel it does have.

Other than air in the system - it doesn't feel spongy in the way brakes would but I accept they're different - what else should I be looking for?

Reply to
sweller

If it's not air in the line, it could possibly be a broken return spring inside the master cylinder.

John

Reply to
John B

Is this a common problem?

Reply to
sweller

It's probably wear in the pedal pivot pin

Reply to
ken

Well, it happened in the one c900 master cylinder I have experience with. So within my sample population, it happens 100% of the time :) John

Reply to
John B

This is a common problem on high mileage C900's.

The hole in the clutch pedal where the pin connects it to the master cylinder has become worn and elongated.

To fix, either get a replacement clutch pedal without the wear or weld the hole shut and drill a new one like I did.

In my case, the pin itself was also worn.

This is important to fix and fix soon, as you are likely to break a tooth off a gear trying to get it into reverse and then you are looking at a transmission rebuild.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

This one has 180,000 on the clock.

I'd heard of this but there doesn't seem to be any mechanical 'slop' in the pedal as I'd expect in a worn metal on metal component. However, I haven't had it apart yet.

It may also be worth noting the pedal doesn't act directly on the master cylinder in the manner of a US spec LHD drive car (the master cylinder is still mounted on the left but there's a shaft that goes from right to left).

Perhaps this arrangement disguises the 'slop' and wear?

It doesn't graunch when selecting a gear, just needs a firm foot on pedal and the engine speed just right or select second then first. Either way it's an arse and needs fixing.

Reply to
sweller

This is very easy to diagnose, but you need to visually inspect the linkage. To do this, you need to remove the knee bolster (the panel that runs right across the car under the dash). Once you can see slave, all will become obvious.

Reply to
Grunff

^^^^^ Of course I mean the master...

Reply to