c900 clutch TO bearing

In a classic 900, what causes the the clutch slave cyl. to retract and the TO bearing to release from the diaphragm springs? A friend's 900 TO bearing pruduces a whining sound when the pedal is not depressed, seems not to completely release from the springs.

------ MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

Not sure. "It just does".

Lot of miles on the clutch, by any chance? If the clutch disk is getting thin, the fingers on the clutch plate will come closer to the throw-out bearing, making it do just that. Could very well be that it's just time to replace it. Actually, in any case, if the bearing is making that noise, he's gonna have to do it anyway. Don't forget the pilot bearing in the flywheel (on the end of the clutch shaft). Not a bad job at all on a c900, easier even than on our beloved 96's. Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The problem is that he just replaced the whole lot (bearing, pressure group, clutch plate) with new parts. The whining started shortly after that and disappears when he depresses the clutch pedal. There are some iron scrapings on the bearing so we suspect that the slave cyl. somehow does not retract and the bearing does not release from the finger springs (his is an '85 900, Haynes calls the slave cyl an 'early type') .

-------- MH

Reply to
MH

Ouch.

Did he gouge the slave cyl's outer surface with the clutch plate fingers during installation (asked Dave in a "don't ask me how I know to ask that" kind of way)...

That'd be aluminum shavings, though. Is all the air out of the system? (a stretch I'll admit). Did it work for a while and then go bad, or was it bad right away? Were they all new parts?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't know, think not, but I was not there...

Why Al?, the finger springs are steel and AFAIK the cage/face of the TO bearing too

yes, yes, yes.

--------- MH

Reply to
MH

Well, the surface of the slave cyl. is Aluminum (or aluminium if you prefer).

Damn, damn, and damn. In that order. I can't explain the presence of iron shavings in the vicinity, in this case. Anyone else? (fx: crickets chirping)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

But the inner bearing race/ring does not rotate on the slave cyl, there is (or should be) only contact between the finger springs and the face of the bearing when the clutch pedal is depressed.

This is the clutch slave assy. that's on the car

-------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

Chirp - Chirp.. :) ..

My take is that either something has lodged or been dumped/left in the greater assembly, the pressure plate has started to hit something in the case or one of several bits are not in straight and are turning on the stub..

You really need to take it apart and track it down. Brother Dave is probably correct through, aluminum makes shavings - steel makes chips - iron makes dust (you know, like usually).

Reply to
Dexter J