c900 cold turbo rattle?

1990 c900, ~150k miles. For about a minute or less after a cold start, I'm getting a tappety-sounding rattle, but only when the boost gets into yellow. Of course, I try to take it easy on the throttle until the engine has warmed up some, but I'm a little concerned that the noise indicates an imminent wallet-lightening. Is the turbo maybe taking a while to get properly lubed up? Could this be a sign of oil coking in there? Or am I way off base and it's the timing chain or something?

Thanks, Ludwig

Reply to
Ludwig

Sounds like tappets from here.

Doubtful.

The timing chain sounds like a rattly-shuffly noise. Tappety sounding noises are probably just...tappets... not fully pumped up until the oil pressure gets up to full pressure inside them. Wouldn't hurt to have a saab tech listen to it.

I can't think of any way for a timing chain noise to go away as the engine warms up. A turbo oil problem would be more a squeal than a tapping.

At least that's what it "sounds like" from here. If it's tappets, it's not a problem unless you really _want to_ spend money to quiet it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

if the turbo is bad one from a junkyard would only be like $150 and its not that hard to install

just get a turbo with little shaft play and good seels

Reply to
es

That can be easier said than done, around here every turbo is gone in the U-pull yards. I think the employees have first dibs on parts, either that or some nutjobs wait around for the cars to come out on the lot and pull the high value parts. Either way I'm sure the $25 turbos mostly end up on ebay for significantly more.

Reply to
James Sweet

Try checking a European Wrecker. The "Big Cars" like Saabs tend to get disposed of well before they're due simply due, to the brutal taxation on fuel. I saw a Loaded 97 Saab Turbo with 100K on it certified and advertised by a dealer here in the UK for under $1,200 US. Parts at the breakers /wreckers are also quite cheap but the shipping might cost a bit more. As for your own wrecker's yard, odds are they've all been pulled off and are sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Try asking at the counter.

Reply to
joe schmoe

The OP may be describing "pinging" too.

Reply to