C900 heater control

Hi folks, got my C900 Aero, yes I think it is,(see my previous post) there is an intercooler and it goes like a rocket. Very pleased.

However, some toe-rag broke into it before I bought it, and whilst ripping out the stereo the heat control got pulled off the linkage at the heater end.

Whats the easiest way in, I need to get to the heater end of the control rod to fix/reconect. Do I need to remove the whole dashboard :-( or is there a simpler way?

Also best place for s-hand C900 parts in West Yorkshire, your opinion? Need interior bits to fix damaged dash, centre console etc.

Many thanks

Al

Reply to
Al

If all you want to do is reconnect the rod, you can do it though the passenger side speaker grille. Just make sure you have small hands, or enlist the help of somone who has.

Reply to
Grunff

When you say passenger, do you mean LHS or RHS of the car (Looking forwards) I am UK based and my passenger sdie is LHS.

Cheers

Reply to
Al

When you say passenger, do you mean LHS or RHS of the car (Looking forwards) I am UK based and my passenger sdie is LHS.

Cheers

Reply to
Al

I'm also in the UK. LHS.

Reply to
Grunff

Now I had you down as American, but maybe I was confusing you with Fred W many thanks.

Reply to
Al

No, Devon, England.

I'm flattered.

Reply to
Grunff

Yay!

Piece of cake. There is a long screw (4 of them actually, but you only care about the right-most one) going up through the dash insert. You can see it from underneath the dashboard, somewhere in the vicinity of the ashtray and/or center console. Remove that - it's maybe 6 or 8 inches long, threads up into the underside of the top of the dash. Unscrew and pull that all the way down (out).

DISCLAIMER: I've never fixed this on a RHD Saab c900.

The left end of the dash insert should then be able to be prised gently away from the rest of the dash. Before you do that, remove the left speaker grille in the dash (two screws and then it lifts out; there are clips in there to release perhaps, or it might just lift out).

Go out the car, and look through that grille down, right, and forward-ish so you can see the rod and the place it should go. There is a shat with a d-shaped end that the u-joint from the heater control should go onto -slide fit, no clips, nothing fancy. See where it is, then get back in the car - sit on the passenger (left) seat, left arm into the speaker grille cutout in the dash. Find the end of the control shaft, and the end of the valve shaft, and line them up with your left hand while moving the dash insert as needed with your right.

Once that's in, test & verify that it's working as expected, then get that long black vertical screw back in - aligning it at the top is fiddly, I'm afraid. Speaker grille back in, and, you've got heat.

One thing to watch out for - on the back of the control which selects which vents you're using is a large cluster of vacuum control hoses. If that comes off the back of the valve assembly, you'll have a huge vacuum leak, lots of noise, and lots of not working air outlets. Don't pull the dash out too far. It's easier the second time, though.

If anything's not clear, feel free to ask for more information.

Hope this helps, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

...as am I.

He must have confused us because we are both smart enough to drive both SAABs and BMWs.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

WAHEY! I have a working heater control. Many thanks guys!

(By the way, what is the EXTRA button on my dash for?)

Al

Reply to
Al

Pilot eject. Make sure you only use it with the sunroof open.

Reply to
Grunff

Good to hear.

Deploys the flaps.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wrong, thats the warp speed button!

Reply to
th

Sorry, I forgot he's in the UK.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, in UK there is probably no market for a sunroof due to the climate conditions

Reply to
th

No you're all wrong, tried it on the dual carriageway, it's the carrier arrestor hook. You should see the scar I put in the road surfacing!!

Reply to
Al

No no, that's the US version. Here in Europe we are more peaceful and have abandoned all military accesories.

Reply to
th

You forget, we British just love sticking our military beak in where it's not wanted, but hey lets not get all alt.politics.war here!!

(actually it turns out the switch turns the front fog lights on, ho-hum)

Reply to
Al

So you've never been to Kent then? Gods own county? The Garden of England, although could now be described as the patio of England due to the tonnage of blacktop and concrete installed in the last ten years!

Reply to
Al

No, only London, Bristol, Portsmouth, Manchester, Sheffield and Edinburgh . Always raining!

Reply to
th