C900 heavy-duty or aftermarket transmissions?

It depends on what you really mean. The tranny was originally designed for a Do these exist?

Reply to
KeithG

Haven't "destroyed" one yet. Bought a '87 900S a couple years ago and had the manual transmission rebuilt with some used and new parts; it was popping out of first and third. A couple days ago it popped out of reverse but I admit I was going faster than I usually go in reverse- maybe I should say I was accelerating in reverse since I wasn't going that fast. Also every once in a while when I shift from third to fourth the stick will snap against my hand when I push the clutch.

Will an '89+ transmission drop into an '87? Are the turbo trannies more robust? Can these be purchased new or only rebuilt? I'd rather put $2-3k into a "heavy duty" transmission than $1k every couple years into my current one.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
S R Sharp

although some need the shift linkage rod changing too, all can fit.

turbo trannies are exactley the same for each year as the injection/carb ones, except the gearing may be different (the chanin sprocket drive gearing between the engine and box, or the gear to gear drive on earlier ones). Later boxes where stronger due to beefing up internally. Generally it is a better idea to get the latest box you can find, from either an injection or Light pressure turbo model with the least mileage and most service history you can find, as that will have had the least strain put on it compared to a higher mileage full pressure turbo unit that has been thrashed to death.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The 'popping out of reverse' is the cheapest and easiest fix to make. It is common and is related to not stopping the shafts before putting it in reverse. When putting it in reverse, initially, put it in first, then slide it into reverse. It is easier on it. I have not experienced the other issues. The tranny rebuilder with the most experience is Eriksson somewhere up east. A rebuilt unit is 1700.00 I think. If I needed one, I would get a '91 unit and have it reconditioned before installing it. Not exchanged, that actual unit torn down and rebuilt.

http://68.18.132.147/transmissi> KeithG wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Suh-weet! That'll help. I'll have to look into Erikson again, I think they're down in Troy- not too far from here.

Thanks

Reply to
S R Sharp

My 1983 900S (8V non-turbo) has 250 k km's and it still has it's original transmission (auto, but hey the cars are designed for high-RPM highway driving after all).

I'm looking at replacing it with a manual transmission but for now it's fine since it works and I'm doing most of the maintenance myself.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Workshop