Calling Paul Halliday

Paul,

There is a nice reply to your posting on saabvideos.com

I think I have a few snippets from the television ad you refer to as "Nothing on earth comes close".

Please let me know if you recall these snippets at 1 second and 22nd seconds to be from that original television advertisement.

Best,

SG

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, SG at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on

18/08/2006 19:39:

This one?

It's not on that. If that's not the link, just post it up will you?

When the UK TV show 'Top Gear' reviewed the 9-5 Aero a couple of years ago, it was played at the beginning of that show. This is the end of the advert:

Essentially, there's a 'Top Gun' kind of macho sunglasses scene, panning shots of the C900 and the runway scene, culminating in a scene following the car which transforms into the plane. Maybe that was another advert, since I remember that one being much darker.

Here's Mr Macho Gunglasses:

This is so annoying ... You'd think with an entire world's collective memory out there on the internet, someone would have the advert. Even after a deep google, I'm still coming up with nothing :(

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul,

I think we are eye-to-eye and are now officially talking about the same TV advertisement.

Look at the last clip in 2006 with the Swedish Flag, that photo is exactly like the first photo link you provided from saabphotos.com

Let me know once you've checked that out. It is the clip at 1 second and 22nd seconds where the Viggen flys over the C900 on the runway like you said.

I wonder if that is a U.K. Only video or Saab Sweden ad or both?

Best,

SG

Reply to
SG

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, SG at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on

18/08/2006 23:15:

Ah ... Sorry ... Must have been my proxy, because that last addition was not there yesterday evening.

Yes, that's very much like it. In fact, the very start of it when the hangar doors open and the Viggen rolls forward looks like a precise remake of the original. On the original that is cut with a C900 rolling forward and a couple of shots of Mr Sunglasses :) The soundtrack is quite loud and confusing with a female voice slightly distorted. The advert then follows the Viggen and the C900 (cutting between) as they get faster and faster and ultimately, the Viggen takes off.

Hmmm! That wouldn't pass the Trades Description Act today :)

I wonder if it was around 1985 for the "SAAB Aero T16 har landat" campaign in Sweden. It looks like a flat nose on the video.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul,

That is good to hear! We're on a good direction now.

Could you post your reply on the latest posting on the blog just for clarity for the entire Saab community? That would be most helpful! :)

You will see that I posted the photo you provided me there too.

Best,

SG

Reply to
SG

yep directed by 'Mr Top Gun' Tony Scott.....Mid-late 80's campaign....I saw it quite recently somewhere....

Reply to
john

This was directed by Tony Scott, seriously?

Let's check this out on IMDB.COM for history of Tony Scott. Maybe we could get a copy from Tony Scott's agent, etc.?

This could be a good directoin!

If this is Top Gun related, when did Top Gun get made? Maybe that's the year!

Excellent!

SG

Reply to
SG

in article 2yLFg.4435$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net, john at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 19/08/2006 22:39:

Whoa! Good catch, Sir!

According to Wikipedia, Scott was selected for directing Top Gun based on his SAAB advert. I wonder if there's any truth to that?

"... from producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer to direct a picture called Top Gun. Among the few admirers of The Hunger during its initial release (the film has, however, subsequently earned cult status on home video), Simpson and Bruckheimer had settled upon choosing Scott largely on the basis of a commercial he had done for Swedish automaker Saab in the early 1980s: in the spot, a Saab 900 Turbo is shown racing a fighter jet. Sensing they had found their man, they offered the project to Scott. Scott, however, was initially reluctant."

From

I would list 'Top Gun' as possibly my least favourite film, but 'The Hunger' is definitely in my top 10.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul,

Could both of us try and contact the people that work with Tony Scott to get the original Advertisement?

SG

Reply to
SG

Suposedly there's a 900 convertible in that movie too, see

I have not yet spotted it...

Reply to
MH