can i get / use a *plain* key on my 9-3?

two days ago i got my first saab, a 2002 9-3, and am wondering if i have to use the remote key or whether i can't get a key without remote that'll still open & run the car. problem is, i'm a surfer and in the past, with my trusty 92 volvo, while i'm in the water, i've just hung the key around my neck on a cord. can't do that with the saab key, of course, and yet i still need some way to lock the car at the beach and stow the key. can't wrap it in a towel and leave it on the sand, as that's too vulnerable. any thoughts? thanks!

Reply to
xxx.xx

It doesn't need to have a remote, but it does need to have a transponder. I think a Saab dealer should be able to sell you a transponder-only key and program the car to accept it. The transponder is completely sealed in plastic so there's no problem with waterproofing.

Another way round it is to do what I did with my old Alfa - take all the remote bits out of the spare key leaving just the empty case with the transponder chip still glued in place. I've never taken apart the

9-3 keys so I don't know how feasible that is.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Yes you can. Probably the best place is at the SAAB dealer because the key will still have the immobilization transponder in it and will need to be programmed (married) to the car. Otherwise it will not allow the engine to strat which is kind of the whole point of having the key... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

actually, now that i think of it, i could keep a transponder/remote key hidden in the car and just get a regular non-transponder, non-remote key to take in the h20 w/ me. my understanding is that such a key would open the doors but not start the car. is that correct? if so, can i just go to the hardware store and get a copy made of my trans/remote key? thanks again for the help ...

Reply to
xxx.xx

Yep. that's the way it works, but you'll probably have trouble finding anyone that has Saab blanks without transponders.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I'm not sure if you can buy them at a dealer, but my '97 came with what's known as a "wallet key". It has no "head" on it, just a plain steel "T". You have to drill a hole in the head even to put it on a key chain. I use it all the time since the standard key has a very large head and there is already a separate transponder for my year. You could also disassemble a more modern combo key and do the same thing, creating a separate key and transponder unit.

Reply to
Retroed Bob

The key with transponder but no remote is perfectly waterproof and you will be able to bring it in the water. It's also not all that bulky, at least not like the remote key. However, the key did cost almost $80 at the stealership including the programming.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound