Canada calling the Mother Countries - Come in Mother Countries..

Salutations:

I was wondering if any of my European and/or English brothers and sisters here could price a BPC valve for me on your side of the pond?

Would very much appriciate any links (and translations where appropiate)..

Thank you kindly.

Reply to
Dexter J

About 3-4 years ago, I needed one for my 9kT. Dealer price was around £150 (USD300). Scrap yard was £10. Replacement was still working when the car was eventually retired. Wish I'd kept it for you.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Grunff - I appreciate the thought anyway.

I'm looking for the Trionic 3 line one that sits up on the rad and given what I found out about mine by taking it apart - I'm hoping to find a new one to modify before placement. Basically it looks like $200(usd) best price state side. Which is like about $300.00 once shipping and border duties are taken into account. Works out to about the same at the dealer after local VAT.

Did you catch my post mortem post on the BPC APC valve on the weekend? Basically - I was surprised at how clever the actual device was, but really disappointed at how it was manufactured.

I would dearly love to figure out who actually makes the parts for them over in Europe. It's not a complicated design at all. Just not very well executed (I smell a another cost accountant at the engineer's meeting somewhere).. :) ..

I have hooked up a relief type regulator as a sort of MBC to set the wastegate pressure to 12pds and no longer have base boost. But, it's a dodgy thing my English brother - not nearly as tight as I would like it.

Anyway - was hoping that somewhere they might have been sold for somewhat less than over here. I fear having visited Elkparts that it may be pro-rated pricing worldwide.

Cheers.

Reply to
Dexter J

BPC ? valve ?

I know someone who breaks 9000s if that helps.

Give me a part number - I have a Saab EPC ( electronic parts catalogue ) of moderately recent vintage.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Boost Pressure Control valve, also known as the APC solenoid.

After Dexter's lengthy discussion of the design problems with this device, why on earth would he want to buy another one used? The replacement unit might fail the day after he installed it...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Well thank you kindly - the part number is 7485576. It is the same unit right up to late model NG900 turbos.

I would be very interested in what a known good used one is going for (the vender needs to confirm an even 3ohms between pin 1-2 and 2-3 and that it rattles slightly when shaken). I guess if I'm going to modify a new one anyway, I can repair the channel the control disk digs out in the vent ring in a used one too.

Given what I found out about the part when I disassembled it - I've been leaning towards buying a new one and fixing it so it shouldn't wear out prematurely again. However, depending on the savings - it might be worth trying a used one to see if I can repair it early.

Cheers - please kick me a link if your contact has one. I'll flag the group back if I find one first.

Reply to
Dexter J

Hey brother Fred - well I'm not so sure now.

If I can find one that still has correct 3ohms across pin 1-2 and 2-3 and holds air - I might be able to preventively repair the vent collar by flowing some solder into the groove the control disk cuts if it isn't too far gone. I don't think I would be able to collar the vent ring internally with a better material as I suspect the control disk is specifically weighted and shouldn't be reduced with a smaller disk. The disk is wafer thin and made of the a very stiff stock.

I'd have to really be careful and file/polish the solder back so it was smooth in there - but for the right price it would make an interesting web-page and project.

Basically if I can get the vents balanced again - there is no reason at all that the control disk will ever touch the sides again. Like I said - it really is a brilliant concept. Completely frictionless if you balance the airflow evenly.

It couldn't gall me any more than having to modify a new one at the price.

Reply to
Dexter J