canbus ibus sid steering wheel controls 93 9-3 ss sport saloon sedan 2007

Sorry about the long header but it may help people searching for info if we ever achieve anything!

I have a MY2007 93 convertible with the latest basic radio cd from the GM parts bin.

I have a dream. I would love to be able to use the steering wheel control buttons for the telephone on an after market bluetooth kit. I would also love to display incoming phone call numbers on the sid which is now located in the speedo/tacho unit rather than on top of the dash (I kinda liked it there - dunno about you)

Anyway, I have had 6 or 7 Saabs, have worked for a main dealer in the past as an auto electrician (when wires just carried current!) still have a couple of useful contacts in the dealer network (to push through a warranty claim if I blow the electrics up with my fiddling)

What I'm really looking for on here is a people with a bit of canbus knowledge. Maybe even a project buddy or two who would like to help me pull my electrics apart for the greater good.

I found a very interesting site by Tomi Liljemark on reverse engineering the previous Saab 93 canbus at

and I have tried emailing him forhelp but I guess he doesn't check his gmail too often. If anyone would like to help physically I am in Kent, UK.

Craig

Reply to
installer69

You probably never had a 93...

Reply to
MH

I've got one...needs a floor.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

A very interesting Idea. I have a '05 Saab 9-3 and I know quite a bit about the can bus on it.. (when I say quite a bit, I mean A LOT). However the SID isn't really controllable over the ibus. To be clear there are two SIDs. The Heads Up Display SID and the SIDC in the Instrument Cluster (or as you put it speedo/tacho). Both SIDs connects to the ICM (Radio) via a separate bus. So if you want to talk to the SID I assume you would have to find out what type of bus goes from the ICM to SID and SIDC respectively and hack that bus. Even if you could hack the bus, it may not be the case that you can send pixel information directly to the SID however that is the mostly likely case.

If you need more > Sorry about the long header but it may help people searching for info

Reply to
robertleale

I haven't actually worked on canbus but I'm sure it can't be that tricky.

I can see there could be huge potential to 'remap' control functions if you can get at the data.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Can't help on a 2007 car I'm afraid, but thanks for that link. I've been wondering about analysing the CAN bus for the SID on my 2001 car ever since I fitted an aftermarket stereo, leaving the bottom line of my SID mostly redundant. I always liked the idea of making a little PIC board that randomly flashes up messages like "BMWs are s**te" whilst I'm driving, or possibly something more interesting like peak acceleration. It's no doubt one of the many things that I'lI never get around to, but that link gets me one step closer.

Are they using CAN now for the steering wheel buttons then now? On mine, the switches just put a variety of different resistors into circuit and the SID translates the resistance values into CAN commands for the stereo.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Wow guys, I'm not used to so many replies, so quickly, on the forums and this is the first time I've visited the newsgroups.

Robert, I am intrigued as to your knowledge source as I have googled and other search engined until my wife won't talk to me because she says I am becoming an anorak ('becoming'? Hey I drive a Saab, don't I) and found very little of interest and nothing on the 93 ss. What you say about the SIDs - I'm not sure if you saw on the 2007 but they have done away with the HUD SID altogether and display that info in the instrument panel like on my Audi - basically a copy of what shows in the radio display.

I am told that a 'proper bluetooth' phone interface is now available on the 2007 unlike the previous boot mounted sim card reader, this new ubit will connect to any bluetooth phone and display details in the instrument panel SID such as phonebook details and incoming caller ID so if that =A3600 optional box of tricks can send such info to SIDney perhaps there is hope!

Eeyore - I love your confidence!! 'it can't be that tricky' - I've reduced plenty of working electrical items to their constituent parts never to work again with that same sentiment.

Colin, AFAIK the buttons are still cascading resistance. I am just waiting for a wiring diagram so I don't airbag myself. Maybe I'll get the wife to sit next to me with the camcorder going just in case - how much are they paying for those videos on the TV nowadays? If I could convert the resistance values from the phone connect/disconnect buttons into a momentary switch I would wire them to my bluetooth phone kit buttons and have control. Are you near Kent? Wanna go halves on a CANBUS thingy and start sniffing?

The electric hood (that's roof not bonnet if you're from the US - we're not THAT lazy in the UK) button is indeed cascading resistance - I know, I the switch out of the dash and hooked up my multimeter to test it then stuffed the relevant resistors in the switches plug and opened and closed the roof.

I did start playing with my Audi - for which there is a lot more CAN info out there including an adaptor to display the valentine one radar detector readout on the in dash display (see

installer69

I'm in Milton Keynes, so not *too* far, but the problem is time rather than distance. It's the old sob-story of juggling a young family, work and attempting to build a kit-car. At the moment, the kit-car is only getting an hour or two a week and the Saab is just getting totally forgotten. Once the kit-car's on the road, I've promised to organize moving house...

If it does turn out that the phone buttons are resistance-based, then I could probably scrawl out a circuit diagram for a simple analogue gadget to convert the resistance to relay contacts. I guess you'd need a window comparator for each button. A quad op-amp(14 pin IC) and a few discretes should handle two buttons. That'd definitely be a quicker way to get the buttons working than making a CAN bus gadget. Of course, it wouldn't do anything for displaying numbers on the SID though.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Thanks Colin,

I'll get back to you when I get a wiring diagram and with the resistance values if applicable.

I hate having buttons that don't do anything.

I have 3 young kids but fortunately(!) I am pretty much a house husband so can spend school times tinkering, sorry, hoovering, tidying, cleaning etc...

Moving, eh? Kent's nice.

On another note, and seeing as you are component competent, I need to identify a surface mount mini fuse in brownish glass about 6mm by 3mm that has FN printed on. Any idea?

Craig

Reply to
installer69

Craig,

Talk to granite-embedded.com, please let me know what your conversation results in.

Best,

SG

Reply to
SG

Hi SG,

I'm sure I contacted them at one stage during my quest for knowledge but as yet they had no dealings on the SS. I've looked for the reply email but can't find it so I may be wrong. Just found my sent mail - I mailed them on Jan 20th. Maybe I'll fire off another mail.

Thanks,

Craig

Reply to
installer69

Righto.

Can't help on the fuse, I'm afraid. You could try trawling through this lot...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp