Check Engine..900s

Hi,

Had the car (1997) for a bout two months.. and I'm getting the message on startup and running. At first it was intermittent.. now it's always there. Handbook isn't very helpful.. WhatI'd like to know is.. could it be serious? is it likely to be serious? Could an ordinary garage look into it? or would it have to be a Saab dealer? I'm about 70 miles away from the nearest dealer.. so I'm hoping it's perhaps a minor problem.

Thanks in advance

Nichollette

Reply to
derek

Question 1: do you have a turbo model? Question 2: What country are you in ?

Step 1: Tighten the gas cap. See if the problem goes away after a few starts.

Step 2: Answer the questions above and we'll give you some more advice.

Reply to
- Bob -

Our 1997 900SE has been experiencing the "problem" for a few months now. Typically, the Check Engine icon is only related to emissions issues (gas cap missing/loose). After fiddling with the cap and later getting a diagnostic done, it seems there is a poor electrical connection someplace; simply soldering the break should fix it, though we've been relying on our poor road surfaces to jar/shake the connection back into place.

Reply to
J. Harris

Thanks for the response.. It's not a turbo.. I'm in Ireland. When you say "gas cap".. you mean the cap for the (petrol) tank? I'll give it a try.. with te cap.. it's a green plastic thing..

Reply to
derek

I've checked the gas cap, and it seems tight enough. Any other ideas/comments?

Thanks Nichollette

Reply to
derek

Could be a vacuum leak from rubber hoses. Look at fittings, listen for leak noises.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

If the cap is tight and the problem does not go away after a few starts then it is generally not the cap. Still could be the cap if it has a bad seal, but usually tightening it helps.

The best thing to do would be to get someone to read the code out of the ECU with a "OBDII scanner". In the USA, some autoparts stores will read the code out for you. The code will give you a strong indication of the problem area. ANy mechanic should have a code reader... or a DIY mechanic who likes toys (they cost $150USd) You can check for lose hoses, ground wires, connections, etc as suggested by other posters but the best thing to do is to find out what the engine is complaining about and work from there.

Reply to
Bob

No shit?

Reply to
Alaris

LOL.

What I meant is that some people need to _replace_ the cap to cure the cap seal problem. Most of us have done OK just by tightening it. You won't know if you need to replace it unless you get the codes checked though adn are sure that the CEL is not something totally unrelated.

Reply to
Bob

previously posted answers....

1 Switch on ignition, do not start. 2 Check engine light will come on for 6 seconds. 3 Comes back on for 3 seconds. 4 Goes off. 5 Flash code begins. 6 2 Flashes = Map sensor. 7 3 Flashes = Intake air temp sensor. 8 4 Flashes = Engine coolant temp sensor. 9 5 Flashes = Throttle position sensor. 10 6 Flashes = Oxygen sensor. 11 7 Flashes = Adaptation. 12 8 Flashes = EVAP can purge valve. 13 9 Flashes = Control module Internal fault. 12 Disconnect battery earth lead for 5 minuets to clear code.
Reply to
Andy