Check Engine Light

I own a 2000 9-3 SE Convertible with 38K miles. While on a trip to NY last week the Check Engine light came on. It went off later but came back on again the next day. I took it to a garage and they ran diagnostics that showed no problem and they reset the light. During the trip home to North Carolina it came on again. I drove the car 720 miles without a problem (the light remained on during the trip). Once home I took it in to my mechanic. He hooked it to the computer and again, no problems found. He reset the light and, for one day it was fine. Today the light is back on. Any ideas as to what is going on here?? Thanks for your help.

Jerry[/b]

Reply to
grhagan

Jerry,I have a 1992 900s conv purchased new in 92. My check engine light has been going on and off since it was new. No apparent reason I just got sick of bringing it back to the dealer and having them tell me no faults found and presenting me with an 80 dollar digisnotic charge. So now I just disconnect the neg to the battery and that will recycle the light at no charge. Sometimes I can go 3 months or so without the light coming on.

135 k later still running better than ever. So I would say join the other saab owners who drive around with ther check engine light on its the nature of the beast. Best regards papa
Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

grhagan wrote in news:1_636525 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Check your gas cap and the gasket around it and the rim of the fuel intake filler thing. Clean off both and make sure the cap is tightened several clicks when you put it back on. Saab check engine lights will come on if the gas cap is loose or if it thinks the cap is loose. May be worth asking the dealer to try another cap on it.

Reply to
Laura K

"" wrote: > Jerry,I have a 1992 900s conv purchased new in 92. My check > engine light > has been going on and off since it was new. No apparent reason > I just got > sick of bringing it back to the dealer and having them tell me > no faults > found and presenting me with an 80 dollar digisnotic charge. > So now I > just disconnect the neg to the battery and that will recycle > the light at > no charge. Sometimes I can go 3 months or so without the > light coming on. > 135 k later still running better than ever. So I would say > join the other > saab owners who drive around with ther check engine light on > its the > nature of the beast. Best regards papa

Thanks Papa, I guess this is just the nature of the beast.

Reply to
grhagan

Our 2001 9-3 exhibited a "check engine" light recently. It was due for service anyway (at a dealer, to keep the extended warranty valid), and so we took it in. The dealer diagnosed a failed turbo bypass valve. The car seemed to be running ok however.

YMMV.

John

Reply to
John B

I heard a rumor that a car with the check engine light on would fail inspection - in Virginia. Anything support or dispute this?

Reply to
ma_twain