Check engine warning light

The check engine warning light is on, and I have trouble finding out what the problem is. Does anyone have a sugestion what the problem is.

The tank is 3/4 full

Audun

Reply to
Audun

Year? Model? Engine? Country?

Is your gas cap tight?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

1990, 900, 2.0i 16V, Norway

And yes it's tight

Audun

Reply to
Audun

Are you having any engine misbehaviors? Have you checked for air leaks in the air ducting for the engine air?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've understood this can be a common problem with some classic Saabs with fuel injection. Mine has had the check engine light go off occasionally for about over ten years now. A Saab mechanic in the early 90's once said to me that "it happens". I haven't had any real problems with the engine or driveability, apart from these errors.

The error codes I get are almost always "too rich/lean mixture". And usually the light kicks in

1) just after starting, especially on mornings when there's a lot of humidity (goes away after a couple of minutes of driving) and 2) when doing heavy, long-term accelerations (like joining a highway traffic from 70km/h to 120km/h on 5th gear).

Sounds to me there's a "tight air leak": the air can slip past a connection/crack of some hose only if there's enough vacuum power available.

I've been trying to find it over the years but haven't found anything major in the hoses, and as there hasn't been a noticeable problem I've let it run that way. I periodically check the error code memory by hand to ensure that no new/uncommon codes have been stored.

Now that the subject came up, should I expect, in practice, the light to never go off in normal circumstances, i.e. with no acute problem in the engine? Perhaps I should recheck the intake system again the next time.

br, S

Reply to
Simo Melenius

The problem is solved. I live close to work, it only takes about 5minutes. Today I took a little trip and after about 10minutes the warning light turned off.

Thanks for all the help.

Audun

Reply to
Audun

Well...if you didn't change anything, it hasn't fixed itself, it has just stopped being a problem right now. Are you using the right spark plugs? Has anything been changed from standard on this car?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What? 5 minutes? Take the bike then you lazy xxx! ;-)

Healthier, and it's better for the car as well, running for 5 minutes every time is the best way to kill an engine!

Reply to
Zweef®