choice of oil

What oil do you recommend for a 1997 9000 CS 2.3turbo? I've heard a suggestion that you should only use synthetic oil because of the turbo, but I'm curious about whether there is evidence to support this.

TIA.

Reply to
Jack McCullough

I've always used synthetic in my turbos, it's less likely to coke up on the bearings and cause wear.

On a related note, what do people recommend as a filter for a 900? On my Volvos I always use Mann filters, who makes the OEM Saab filters?

Reply to
James Sweet

in my 95 9000 cs turbo 175 hp 2,3lpt, I use what my climate suggests

Mark Memphis this time I got mobil 10-w 30

and pf 13 ac delco filtr \

Reply to
Mark Plumlee

ac delco's pf 53 used to be saab filter sin the 90;s

Mann and mobil 1 are excellent

PF 13 is hat I use to clean/ fluch engines

but on the 16v I am alwasy hitting the alternator wire and having to put in a new spade.

PF53 is best fit for value for 16v 900 classic after 3 k miles, change filter and fll with oil, replace.

value if it has drain back plug like bosch and MANN, mobil 1

Mark

Reply to
Mark Plumlee

I suggest synthetic. The heat of the turbo can coke regular oil. The synthetic can operate at a much higher temp range without that problem.

Reply to
Bob

FYI: read a post on a BMW K bike, parts substitution page comparing the Delco filter to the Mobil 1- other than weight of the filter hull, the pf 53 and the corresponding Mobil 1 are identical, even down to the alpha-numeric stamping on the end.

Query, though, re: 16v 9000 2.0 litre and the 9000 2.3 litre eng>ac delco's pf 53 used to be saab filter sin the 90;s

Reply to
cs

Hello, You can use regular oil, but synthetic will extend the life of your engine and turbo. I also use synthetic oil. As has been mentioned, synthetic does not coke or form carbon sediment in the heat of the turbo bearing (especially important for when the engine has just been turned off and the oil isn't flowing anymore). You can also go a little longer on oil changes (5000mi instead of

3000mi) since the oil does not break down in viscosity nearly as fast. You can also run a little heavier oil (10w-40) and get more protection yet still have it flow well with the multi-viscosity weight. Regular multi-vis oil flows pretty thick, but synthetic multi-vis really will flow like the thinner weight and protect like the heavier weight.

As for a filter - I use Bosch filters for my Saabs.

Nate '88 900 SPG '87 900 T16 (almost RIP)

Reply to
Nate Goddard