Choice of tires for C900 (1991)

Hello,

I am sure this topic has been discussed, but TSN link to the archive search does not seem to work. So, I have to ask the probably oft-addressed question of tire choice for my 1991 Saab 900.

Currently, several dealers have a promotion on Michelins. I was looking at their HydroEdge tires, and I am confused: the ratings show better handling in dry and wet than many sports tires, while having 70k warranty, and having an "All-Season Touring" classification. Has anybody tried these tires, and can comment on how good they are? Or, for example, how do they compare to something like Bridgestone® Potenza RE950 (rated "All-Season High-Performance")?

Second question: if I went to one size larger (195/60 R15 instead of stock

185/65R15), do I put much stress on the car suspension to matter? Also, would I be able to put chains on the wider tire if I need to? The reason for this question is that with that size, I can choose a sportier Michelin® Pilot XGT H4 - if that is any good, of course :-)

Thank you,

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

Go to:

Even if you don't buy from them, they're an excellent source of information. Go through the exercise of seeing what tires are good for your car and then look at the owner reviews.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

195/60R15 was stock for the Turbos, so no problem.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Dima, I went with 195/60 r15's on my 900, a '92. The only side effect was that the car tended to "wander" a bit on the road. Nothing major, just a bit. If you step up the tire size a bit you may need to have the alignment checked. obtw I went to Goodyear's and they seem to be just fine. I would imagine the Michelin's would be just fine also. Bear in mind that Saab's like most front drivers tend to be hard on tires, especially soft compound tires. Also keep in mind that wider tires are not as good in the snow.

dave

Reply to
dave

915/60R15 is the standard size for the T16S/Aero kitted models anyway, but ina higher speed rating. ISTR that 205/55R15 is also listed as an option for those cars, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Thanks everyone for replying. Going back to the original questions - has anyone tried and knows anything about the Michelin HydroEdge?

Thanks,

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

Reply to
ma_twain

Tirerack is the first place I go to. The problem is, their reports seem to indicate that there is hardly a tire that beats HydroEdge in every performance category, from dry traction to snow. So, the causes for that maybe:

  1. Michelin has developed a unique technology that outperforms by a huge margin everything else out there (even for a leading tire manufacturer, that is a long shot)
  2. Tirerack reports are incorrect or skewed by the type of people who tend to buy the All-Season Passenger type of tire.

I am still searching for the correct answer :-).

Thanks,

-Dima

There are 57 reviews of the Hydroedge. You should go and read them.>

Dima