clarion radio

I recently got a clarion radio from a junkyard. How do I get a code to install it in my 86' Saab.

Reply to
Pty

You are likely out of luck. You need to go to a dealer with the vehicle registration showing the VIN to get it.

Reply to
yaofeng

You might not be able to. You could try contacting Clarion, but they may refuse to help you unless you can prove you legally own it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Try an independent car stereo shop or someone who deals in stolen goods. The thieves are usually quicker and better at getting electronics working than the dealers. (or go back to the wrecker and see if the code is written in the owners manual).

I personally would go to Walmart & get a generic $99 head unit. They'll have CD/MP3 etc, etc & be superior to the older Clarion unit you've got (plus it'll have a warranty).

If you want to stick with the Clarion Unit you've got you'll need either the serial # of the radio or the VIN number from the car to get any help from Saab or Clarion

Reply to
joe schmoe

Go to your local Saab dealer with the radio. They will probably giive you the code. That's what I did. The national Saab center will not cooperate with you regarding codes unless you have the VIN number associated with the radio.

Reply to
darthpup

Local car stereo shop is best bet, they'll charge you at least £15, and if they're reputable will take your name and address and require proof of ownership.

Sure it's not just written on the top of the unit? Sounds real stupid doesn't it, but it often is!

Before anyone accuses me of being a tea-leaf, my brother is in the trade and like all car stereo shops they suffer from idiots asking for repairs to be done and not turning up for the finished job. They sell the stereos off after 3 months to recoup their losses. Yes this is part of the contract the punter signs when they drop their unit in with a small deposit. I have had some nice stereo's in my cars as a result, and they usually come with the code written on the top....

Al

Reply to
Al

Go to the dealer and explain the whole mess. I had the same issue and they gladly looked up the code for me. I went to Saab City in Framingham, MA, a very old Saab dealer here in the NE US.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Brown