Convertible top very slow when opening and closing...

I have a 1999 9.3 Convertible with 82K miles. Lately, when I retract or tract the top it operates very slowly and the mechanism seems to be overworking. Are there measures I can take to fix this issue, or can only a professional mechanic handle this issue.

Also, half way through opening the top, I'll get a "Soft Top failure" warning, but I would continue retracting and it would work. This is been going on for a while, but if I just continue opening or closing it, it will still close. Should I be worried about this, and will it cause a major issue in the future if I don't have it looked at?

Reply to
ifthecar

It could simply be that the lubricants are 'hardening'. If it's straining as it seems, there's the potential to damage the motors.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Sounds like you need fluid in your conv top resivor. probably located under your rear seat. Check with local parts store or saab dealer to see if you need a special fluid. My 1992 just takes regular jack oil. If your worried that you will do damage just diconnect the power top and open it manually until you get it checked. The manual override is in your trunk behind the passenger side panel. Ckeck you book to be sure. good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I have the same basic car and the same problem worsening since I got it.

I would recommend check>I have a 1999 9.3 Convertible with 82K miles. Lately, when I retract

Reply to
Lars Bell