Coolant Leak - '93 9000 CSE

I've got a coolant leak, but I can't find where it is. It's losing about a pint a day. I've just had the heater blower motor replaced and was told that the heater matrix was leaking slightly.

Should I suspect the heater matrix has suddenly got worse, or should I take it in for a pressure test? My mechanic can't do a pressure test so it would have to be a main dealer.

Thanks for any help.

Mark.

1993 CSE 9000 Turbo Auto 180,300 miles
Reply to
Mark Carter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The clue is in the above sentence ;-)

Without removing the matrix, how did they tell it was only 'slightly'? More importantly, who on earth replaces the blower on a 10 year old 9k, but doesn't do the matrix at the same time?

My guess is it's the matrix. If you can't see any leaks in the engine bay, and the engine is still running fine (not a headgasket leak), it's the most likely thing.

Reply to
Grunff

Especially when they know the matrix is already leaking!!

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks, that's what I thought. I don't think he removed the matrix but I wonder if he made it worse when he changed the motor. He didn't want to wait

2 days to order a new matrix.

I think it's going to have to go back to him to do the rest of the job. Do you think there's any point in doing a pressure test in case there's a leak elsewhere? He took the gearbox out too and replaced the flexi drive plate so I'm wondering if anything else could have been disturbed.

Cheers,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Carter

Wouldn't do any harm.

Please tell me he replaced the whole clutch (spring, plate, release bearing) as well as the pilot bearing, the crank seal and the slave cylinder, not just the spring...

Reply to
Grunff

I think so, but now you've mentioned it I'll check.

Reply to
Mark Carter

Have you tried a bottle of Barr's Stop Leak? I've seen this recommended for Saabs. I was having some burned coolant smell when it started turning cooler and put a bottle of this in the coolant. It cleared it up in a couple of days. The car, which I bought used in May, had been sitting on the lot for a long time. I think a lot of the rubber needed to be conditioned and this seems to have done the trick.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

While Bars Leaks does work, in that it can seal a small leak fairly effectively, I very much doubt that it would do much for the OP's "one pint per day" leak. That's a big hole.

Reply to
Grunff