Coolant level low message, an error?

2004 9-5.

Every time I crank the car, SID reads "Coolant level low. Please refill." But it's not low. I took it to the dealer, and they said it's fine. They reset the message, but it keeps returning. Not a big deal - just annoying. Any idea what's really causing this problem?

Thanks!

Reply to
Paxton C. Sanders

"Paxton C. Sanders" wrote in news:Xns969C9827FF4D0pcsandersyahoocom@216.77.188.18:

I had this problem with a 900SE. Someone in the group mentioned that the level sender (or whatever you want to call it) can stick in the overflow tank and the only way to fix it is to replace the overflow tank. I thought about doing that, but a new tank was $80 or so. So I went to plan B, which was to take the top off the tank when it was cold and swish a chopstick around in there. Then gave it a couple of good whacks on the side with a large pair of pliers. Seems to have taken care of the problem.

Reply to
Laura K

What could be happening is the coolant level switch has dirty high resistance contacts.

If you remove the flying lead and put a shorting link in and run with that for a few days

to confirm that its the coolant level switch. If this proves to be the case you can clean

up the contacts by passing a few hundred milliamps through them.

You can do this by using a 21W indicator bulb.

Wire the bulb in series with the coolant level switch and the other ends

connected to 12vdc from the cars battery. Then poke something in the coolant expansion

tank and make and break the switch several times. What this will do is the clean up the contacts

as when in normal operation the SID circuit only draws a few milliamps.

Cheers - Martin (New Zealand)

Reply to
Martin Barnes

You're BAD !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Laura K:

Way to go Laura. Let it know who's boss! Love it. Sounds like rubbish on contacts or stuck sender so that may be as good a fix as any. I suspect that removing the tank then filling it with boiling water and shaking it up with either a steam vaporizer cleaning tablet or aspoonful of sodium bicarbonate may effect a permanent fix, but belting it occasionally is probably more cathartic! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

"hippo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I haven't noticed the radio chirping since I did that either. Probably cowering in fear.

Reply to
Laura K

"Paxton C. Sanders" wrote in news:Xns969C9827FF4D0pcsandersyahoocom@216.77.188.18:

Thanks to all who replied.