Coolant level warning

When my son's serpentine belt and idler pulley flew off last week, his system told him the coolant level was low. That was but one of an Apollo 13-like series of warnings he saw that day. (Wouldn't it be funny if some programmer actually put in things like 'Bus A Undervolt' ?)

Anyway, all the other warnings cleared up, but he's still got the coolant level low warning. The temp gauge is fine, he's got heat, and sometime today while they're having a snow day from school I hope he's going to read the manual to learn how to check the coolant level. Then do it. But...I suspect this warning simply needs reset somehow.

Is there a reset for this?

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

No. It's just a float type sensor with a switch in the coolant reservoir. But the switches have been known to go bad on occasion.

Reply to
Fred W

OK, that works too. Hopefully snow-boy will check the level and fix that, and switches are easy to test. Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
JohnO

In message , JohnO writes

Take the filler cap off the expansion tank and use the Mk 1 eyeball, level should be somewhere between the max and min lines on the side. Top up as necessary with the correct Saab/GM coolant.

The sensors do fail but they are part of the expansion tank so you need to replace the whole tank (but do check that the cable to the tank hasn't become disconnected at the socket on the tank).

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

Given that I had to loosen the body cross bar that's in the same neighborhood, this is entirely possible. Thanks for the tip.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO