coolant sensor

i have a 95 saab 900se turbo coupe and the coolant level low on the SID keeps coming on! Bad sensor?? I wiggled it to see if it comes on...but as soon as I turn the car on..it comes on within 15 secs! HHHEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!

Reply to
p digital

Most likely the sensor is bad. I believe you have to replace the tank to fix the sensor. You could jump it out... but it's a nice feature, especially in a car that you really, really don't want to ever overheat.

Reply to
- Bob -

i tried to squeeze or play with it..but it still comes on. i didn't understand what you mean by "jump it out?" damn, i like the feature..i just have to make a mental note i guess if there is no real fix, beside replaceing the "GM" part which is the whole tank!

thanx

- Bob - wrote:

Reply to
p digital

What I meant is that you can use a jumper wire to eliminate it. However, before you try that you need to find out how it works. Some sensors are normally open, so disconnecting it will shut of the warning, some are normally closed, so you have to short it. Some have a resistance rating and you have to jumper it with a resistor of the proper value.

I will look in my manual and see if there is a hint. Personally, I would consider replacing it. These motors are known for occasional head gasket issues and you can lose coolant. If that happens you may lose the turbo (very expensive) or the motor (don't even ask expensive). For $100 or so it seems like cheap insurance.

- Bob -