Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(crossposting)

I'm looking at used Audis, Saabs, and bimmers, and wanted to get an idea of how costly repairs & maintenance would be. Most of the cars I'm looking at are in the '97-'99

50k+miles $12,000 range. I hear BMW costs the most. But what about the others? Considering the car has been well cared for, what is life like after 100k miles?
Reply to
speakeasy

A Saab with 300,000 miles isn't all that remarkable; it's more about years than miles. The others are well designed also, so they're probably comparable. As far as repair parts, there's a site called eeuroparts.com (note two e's at the beginning) which sell for Saab, BMW, and Volvo; you can compare relative prices of Saab and BMW there for like items.

All 3 are designed well. Depending on your weather conditions, you might find that the front wheel drive of the Saab is important; I prefer it myself, living in Wisconsin and all. For an anecdotal data point, I have a 1999 Saab 9-5, which has been in exactly twice for other than "normal wear items" (tires, spark plugs, belts), and those two times were the 30,000 and 60,000 mile checkups. It's at 80,000 now and drives like new. I'd buy one again, and in fact this replaced a 1988 Saab that I had 247,000 miles on when I traded it in.

Of course, people feel strongly that the make they own is the best, which is why they bought it. I freely admit a bias, but I am not unhappy at parts costs, since I've needed to buy so few repair parts and they're not so bad.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Do NOT buy a SAAB. Do NOT buy a BMW.

Buy an Audi.

Reply to
Dave

I think they're all very nice cars. When buying secondhand it is important to check for past 'issues', sometimes fixed for free by the manufacturers. Some BMW had engines that were dissolved by the petrol and the digital odometer can be changed. It is all a matter of personal preferences. BMWs are very common and their drivers are often ill behaved on the road. The new 1-series BMW looks horrible, like mangled metal. Older Audis look bland, like a piece of soap with wheels. New A4 is nicer. New BMW-5 is interesting, slicing a hole in the air by that little roof fin. BMW Z4? What were they thinking? Again looks like mangled metal. And finally Saabs; the pleasure of proper petrol turbo engineering.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I think you'll find it's more the luck of the draw combined with past owner care/driving style that decide how reliable it will be. It also depends on what you want. If you want sprited driving pleasure, it's the BMW (Audi will be close though, depending on model). If you drive in the snow, quattro is unbeatable, and the Saab FWD is better that the BMW RWD (at least for getting moving, once you're moving it's another story). Personally, I'd stay away from any brand associated with GM (Saab), but that's me. Parts and repair prices for all three will be more that your typical american or mainstream import.

Reply to
Jim

Jim must be new to Saabs - Saabs weren't always owned by GM. The Saabs often quoted as running after 300,000 miles were pre-GM. I currently own two Classic and strongly considering a third. My wife lets me collect cars :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

He's talking a '97 so that's a "partially GM" Saab.

I think it might be relevant to know which country he's posting from too. Also, is he a DIY guy (parts cost only) or is he paying for labor too ?

Reply to
-Bob-

[...]

Remains to be seen if this is has any drawbacks. In fact it is GM that has been associated with Saab; learning turbo technology and using a 175 bhp Saab turbo engine as an option for GM Vauxhall Vectra. Modern saabs use GM platforms, but they have been heavily modified by the clever Swedish engineers. Saab 9000 (to 1998) and early Saab 900 have no connection with GM.

For me, BMW are too common on the roads. They are not particularly fuel efficient (petrol), although they do have some fine diesels, probably the best. But then if you don't like diesels, you're stuck. And the BMW servicing indicator must be a nuisance if you do your own servicing? I always have an image of BMW drivers being very pushy: "get out of my way" sort of thing.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

"speakeasy" wrote

We had a recent discussion in alt.autos.bmw. google for: "Re: How much maintenance?"

Sounds like you're looking for 3-series, for that $. In this set of cars, I doubt that you will find significantly different maintenance costs. Might look at Lexus IS300 if you want Toyota reliability.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

But pay similar prices (at least in the USA) if you do need repairs.

Reply to
-Bob-

Not particularly "common" in the USA compared to most other cars. More common in some areas than others though.

Funny how they apparently have the same reputation worldwide. I imagine some of them are nice fellows... but many of them seem to have a bit of an attitude problem.

Reply to
-Bob-

Which is particularly appreciated as gas prices keep getting higher. My 1995

9000CS is a full size 4-door hatchback. Lots of room for hauling people and stuff. With the 4-cyl LPT turbo I get 28 mpg around town, 32 highway. It will run on regular although I usually run mid-level in it and premium on long interstate trips. I haven't found the repair costs on the Saab to be higher than that on any other car that I would consider purchasing. And it's a good looking car and wonderful in snow.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

As a talented designer (I looked at your site), surely you must be joking about the 9000 being a "good looking car". :-) Practical, roomy, efficient... but good looking ?

Bob

Reply to
-Bob-

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I personally find the 9000 to be an attractive car, but not as much so as the classic 900's. I'm also a big fan of the older Volvos, boxy and practical, with clean straight lines and an all around sturdy look.

Reply to
James Sweet

If I judge myself I must be honest; after getting a BMW I did become more aggresive on the road. But that didn't make me a worse driver. I still pay attention on others.

-- Rajngla t.

Reply to
Tomislav Buric

I think it's gorgeous!

then I liked the really old "whale tails" too. I remember seeing them at adealership in Beverly Hills that we used to drive past when I was little andasking my dad what that neat looking car was.I'll admit the Saab is not as pretty as the Lincoln Mark VIII that I had beforethe Saab. That is truly a classic piece of American sheet metal. But I'm gladI'm not putting gas in the Lincoln anymore.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Yes, and the Giugiaro design still looks modern without the fuzzyness of many manufacturers recent cars with their groves or scars. The newer CS/CSE even better looking car, looks mean and purposeful.

Johannes H Andersen

The guy I go to for service had this problem with a used BMW he bought for his wife. If you decide on a BMW make sure the year/model you buy does not have this problem.

I had a '95 A6(2.8)Q wagon which I traded at approx. 140K (miles) and now have almost 140K (miles) on a '98 A6(2.8)Q wagon. My repair and maintenance costs have been pretty low. The single most expensive repair was around $600 - but the car was barely out of warranty and Audi picked up half of that. The timing belts have been somewhat expensive as I recall, but every car needs that at rougly 60K.

I'm fussy about reliability and cheap, but I would not hesitate to buy another Audi A6Q.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

they are all very fine cars. IMHO BMW would be a much more enjoyable ride. I have never owned a Saab or an Audi so I cannot compare maintenance costs, but I would imagine they are all not so different.

-Bob- wrote:

Reply to
Imad Al-Ghouleh

Yes, imagine a lump of gooey paste under the car and no engine :) Anyway, BMW keep track of all cars with this problem and will replace the engine for free.

Jaguars were not included in the above. A software bug in auto boxes can sometimes switch the box into reverse! Jaguar are recalling at the moment and apparently not very happy.

Well, not every car; Saabs use timing chains instead of belts :).

Nice enough motor, but pricey though.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen