Cost of repair Audi BMW Saab...(crossposting)

Thanks for the praise but if you check the posts in this thread, the one who started talking airbags when we were discussing RWD, FWD and AWD was Krieger:

////A stunning non sequitur. Even if it weren't a hopelessly desperate /////attempt to change the subject, *who the hell cares*? Driving *any* /////car is inherently unsafe! My BMW doesn't have *any airbags* - and I /////*like it* that way!////

When I wrote safest I was thinking of active safety, not airbags!

Reply to
JP Roberts

OK; you're on. Want to match autocross moves? Your Audi. My ancient BMW. Maybe you'd prefer to compare lap times at Road America ...

-- C.R. Krieger (Threshold brakes)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

"C.R. Krieger" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Now you will talk speed, not safety :)! Interesting enough that you mention threshold braking though, because I think that's something many people should learn to do. I don't doubt your BMW might be faster if you chose the road or circuit, but if I was granted the privilege of choosing my own road, then things would be very different.

Reply to
JP Roberts

You think so? Whaddya want? Sears Point? Going to the Sun Highway? Sebring? München to Interlaken? Watkins Glen? Yellowstone to Jackson Hole? Mid Ohio? Loveland Pass? The Amalfi Drive? Lime Rock? Oaxaca to Veracruz? Ohio 555? Aosta to the Matterhorn? I haven't even been to all those places (the most anal retentive researchers might discover it's all but one), but I'm ready.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I have owned all three makes. My current car is a 01 A6. repair costs for all are about the same, the difference is in how often they require repair. Now you can get complaints about every make and model out there, so you must understand this. here are the cars I have owned

A6 4.2 (current) 42k miles- no repairs

9-3 Saab Convt. Sold with 39k. bought with 22k, certified. was in the shop 8 times in 7 months, NONE of these were maintenance related. the shortest time in service was 4 days, the longest 3.5 weeks. probably the worst car I have ever owned. when running correct it was all kinds of fun and a joy to drive. A lemon, no doubt. got rid of it due to the breakdowns, all of which were covered by warranty, but totalled over 8k.

BMW 525 sold with 107K, in the shop one time for shocks, and lower control arms.

Audi 90 Q In the shop three times, once for starter, ignition switch and another for cat. converter. Sold for the Bimmer, great car though.

Audi 90 Q. same car as above, never in the shop until an accident at

60 mph in which a car tried to turn in front of me on the hi-way. I walked away, car was a complete loss.

Saab 900 convt. A/c o-ring replaced at 24k under warranty

So, drive each car, find as much as you can about it both the model and the specific car. call the VIN into a friendly dealer and they can help you with repair info. check the car out. any of these can be great, but as with any car they can also be nightmares. I am probably the only one on the earth that had a lemon of a honda, so you can never tell

spinny

Reply to
spinny

I've never met either of you, so I have no idea of your driving abilities. It would be interesting for you to race on any of those roads, exchange cars, and do it over again. That would help eliminate driver skill from the equation, assuming you were both fairly competent, and let the virtues of the vehicles be seen. That's what this thread was originally about, right? Well, no, but it would be an interesting comparison anyway. But then again, I'm not sure what model BMW and Audi you guys own - if the BMW was an older powerful RWD sportscar (like the 507) that was

1000+ lighter than a newer (safer) much heavier AWD Audi sedan, the BMW would run away with a race unless the road conditions were truly horrible. Racing a 3.2 TTq vs. a 3.0 Z4 would be more of a direct comparison for the AWD vs. RWD debate.

- Byron

Reply to
Byron

Just let me know when you're in Europe.

Reply to
JP Roberts

That shouldn't be too difficult, only 2500 miles across ;-)

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen