Daft question about damper colour.

Would I be right in believing that the original factory fitted suspension dampers on a late 80's 900 would be an olive green in colour - the same as the brake pipes?

Cheers all

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Many (most?) UK models had blue shocks (dampers) fitted. I've seen the olive ones you describe, but not that often.

Reply to
Grunff

Olive = Oil dampers Blue = Gas dampers Yellow = Bilstien dampers, HTH, Tom.

Reply to
saabtech

Ah yes very enlightening. The reason for my question was because I was looking at the shocks on my '88 900i and the fronts are blue and the rears green. The car has an alledgedly genuine 75k miles on it and identifying original shocks would support this. If this is the colour code for replacement Saab sourced shocks then of course it doesn't help much.

The front feels supple and responsive but the rear is harsh and "dead" feeling so I think an upgrade to Sachs gas shocks may be in order.

Thanks

Sam

Reply to
Sam

I have used Tokico gas shocks as an aftermarket alternative on the 900c, and was very pleased with the performance, and the price.

BL

Reply to
BL

Koni adjustables for me - can't say enough good things about them in both the ride and handling departments - but they are not cheap.

Reply to
Bob

Tokico don't seem to be easily available here in the UK so I'll have to disregard them. I'd love to get Konis or Bilsteins but I really can't justify the cost, I have too many other things that need cash at the mo. I've just found I can get Kayaba EXCEL-G (think they used to be called SUPER) shocks for about 25% less than than the Sachs/Boge ones. They seem pretty well regarded based on what's been said on the various different makes newsgroups/forums. Any one used them on a classic 900?

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Bob, Are you using the Koni Special (Red) or the Koni Sport (Yellow)? TIA

Reply to
J. Harris

Yellow. As far as I know, the reds are not available for my NG900.

I was quite pleased that they improved both handling and ride, two characteristics that are usually diametrically opposed. I also much prefer the adjustable feature since you can dial in the ride you like. With other shocks, you are stuck with whatever rate they want you to have.

Reply to
Bob