Direction Indicator Problem

Hi all,

Havig had a very successful morning re-aligning my exhaust, I'm hoping for some help with an indicator problem. My car is a 1989 900 T8 and I'm experiencing a very fast flashing left hand side indicator. My RHS is fine - normal speed and when I apply the hazard lights, both sides flash at the same speed.

I have checked the relevant fuses and made some attempts at "multimetering" both sides for comparison, but have found nothing particularly our of the ordinary.

Does anyone have any ideas about a fast flashing indicator? I have had the car for some time now and this is a new problem which occurred out of the blue today. Oh well, SAAB - Something Almost Always Broken :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

The resisitance of one side is different to the other side - normally cause by a blown bulb. Have to ask - checked all the bulbs (including the repeater in the front wing)? If they're all ok, check that they're all of the correct wattage.

Reply to
Grunff

in article c6hc9b$c3k64$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 25/04/2004 22:58:

Whoa! You're fast tonight, Grunff :) How about I swap the bulbs? If I see the same problem on the other side afterwards then ...

The bulb is not broken, hence I started to measure things with my multimeter on the left side and then the right for comparison. I get the same kind of readings, just the LHS is faster. I'll try a bulb swap tomorrow and inspect all the other bulbs. Are you saying that a bulb other than the repeater can cause this problem?

Thanks for the reply.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Yes, any of the indicator bulbs can cause this problem. If you check the bulbs and they're all ok, then it's time to start looking for a bad earth. But my money's on a bulb being the wrong wattage (or blown).

Reply to
Grunff

in article c6hcmq$c3k64$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 25/04/2004 23:05:

Duh! Yup, the back is out. I had a quick look this morning, but have not yet got around to investigating whether it is a bulb or bad ground.

Many thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

in article BCB30ECF.ECE8% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 26/04/2004 19:09:

Right ... At work, because lights are always a two man job :), I had my mate shout "yay" or "nay" to brake lights, fog lights, driving lights and indicators. The indicator was still broken and I'd left it on to take a look for myself. I opened the boot to get my torx screwdriver and ... You guessed it ... The damn thing started flashing and has done ever since!

SAAB, eh? :)

Thanks all,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

sounds like my reverse lights. Changed the bulbs. No joy. Picked up a switch at the scrappy, put it in. No joy, maybe replacement switch dud too. Tried old switch with a bulb. Worked ok, bugger. Tried new switch, worked OK, double bugger. Fitted new switch again. 1 side worked. Yay. checked all the wiring an earths on both sides, both appear to be intact. Bugger. Gave everything a clean. Still one side works, bugger. Put it all back together and leave it as one side now works. Next day, backing into work still a bit dull in the morning. notice reflection of both sides working. Yay, Saab appreciated the TLC and stopped being grumpy, and did as it was told.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Could be a some flakey wiring in the harness that flexes when you open the rear hatch (or trunk). These would be likely symptoms of intermittency...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.