EGR Valve

Good eve' fellow Saabers,

I'm really not happy with the way my EGR vac pipes are setup on my 1989 900 T8. Pre-throttle, I have one take-off which runs across to the distributor capsule (I think that's the right word - this is the "vac advance" thingy, right?). I'm sure my old '88 900 T8 had two pre-throttle vac take-off points.

This pipe has a T in it which goes to the two prong EGR temperature sensor(?) between number 2 & 3 cylinders.

I can't help thinking, but correct me if I'm wrong, that the point of the pre-throttle take-off is to push boost across to the distributor capsule. But, surely this is also the pipe that re-circulates gas back into the pre-throttle. If the engine is under boost, this pipe will be blowing from the pre-throttle intake and therefore the EGR pipe will have no chance of re-circulating gas. It may be purely intellectual, but that can't be right. If it's not right, then I should do something about it :)

I gather the EGR valve starts operating at about 2100 RPM. I'm often starting to go into boost by this point, with the boost gauge at the broken white part, so presumably gas is only re-circulated for a brief second on each gear change. Okay, I appreciate that it can be quite happily running on a motorway cruise, but I rarely do that kind of driving and spend probably

90 percent of my time either in start/stop city traffic or cranking between third and fourth on country lanes, turbo whistling away.

I've been reading that Saab removed the EGR system from later cars. Can, or rather more importantly, should I disable the system? I've read a lot of opinions on a couple of forum boards, but I'm a lot more confused now about whether I should and how to do it. I also read that the UK MOT is a lot more harsh over emissions and a correctly setup T8 will fail anyway, so disabling/removing the EGR system is not really a great issue. Besides, the more I "turbo", the more I'm cleaning the air anyway :)

How would I disable the system? Logic dictates that I should simply block off the vac pipe that runs to the pre-throttle position. Later, I can get a take-off cap to put on the EGR pump(?) under the intake manifold and remove the sensor (between 2&3 cylinder) and block up with a bolt of the right size and thread.

Opinions and advice would be very much appreciated.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Have a word with Malbrad. Sounds like the EGR on my 16v is the same as yours, they had a look and said, " we can get a lot more out if we whip that off".

I asked about emissions probs, and they said "Will probably pass easier". BTW, as your is pre-92, it doesn't need a cat, and has to only reach

3.5% CO and 1200ppm Hydrocarbons to pass. My battered old Skoda Estelle managed that with a very worn Jikov 12 year old Jikov carb that leaked and rattled like a mad thing.

Fuel injection (properly set up) should make it near impossible to fail unless they tighten the regs for older cars.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 17/11/2003 07:20:

I'm going to pop across to my preferred garage today about another matter - gearbox whine, which is hopefully the clutch release bearing rather than pinion whine. Fingers crossed. I'll ask their advice as well.

How is yours disabled, or did Malbrad remove it completely?

I see - so there *are* different rules depending on whether you have a cat. Okay, I'm not half so worried now. So long as everything is running right - good oil, fuel, ignition, compression and mixture - I'm sure it can't be that bad.

A ha! Great minds and all that ... :) Yeah - you'd've thought. There was some rumour among the Saab Central crowd that the emissions tests were getting harder for older cars though. Oh well, I'll find out in February :)

Thanks Carl. Anyone else?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Reply to
Saabtech

Mine is left as is, but it was one of their recommends while he was giving the car a look over.

Mid '92 was when CATs become compulsory fitment from new, and emission regs tightened right down at the same time. My old Favorit was Jan 92 with carb and no cat. mid '92 modles were VW style Bosch injection, and a cat.

Thats it, do the filters, give it an oil change, and check it is tuned up, and you shouldn't go wrong.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Should/How do I remove the EGR system from my '89 900 T8

That's great. Thanks. Are the parts you mentionned available from Saab? I'd like a neat job in the end.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Der, Sorry should have said they are all saab part numbers, Tom.

Reply to
Saabtech

Dump the EGR in a turbo'd car it doesn't help feeding hot exhaust gas back in to the inlet. You'll need to make a plate up to bolt over the hole in the inlet manifold and plug the hole in the exhaust manifold with a bolt. Then cap the vacuum line from the TB to the valve on the inlet manifold between

3&4. Job done. Worth about 2bhp at 3200rpm on mine and it 'feels' a lot better throughout the rev range.
Reply to
**-**

in article bpb21v$1nbiq3$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-199813.news.uni-berlin.de, **-** at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 17/11/2003 17:55:

My mechanics will be doing this next week when the car goes in for a couple of other things. Thanks for the advice.

All 2 BHP, eh? Should I inform my insurance company :)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

;-) Well depends what other mods you've got on yours. With 650degrees EGT and running 1.8bar of boost every little bit you can do to stop the Inlet temps rising helps, and the EGR weighs over a kilo.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Yep injection cars are much more efficient (even old K-jet..), unless the engine's very worn you should have no probs. I had an 87 900i with over

200K, emmissions were about 1-1.20% CO

My 89 9000 with 135K (no cat) gives 0.54% CO and 112ppm HC.

Reply to
chris

in article BBDEBCFB.B15E% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 17/11/2003 17:59:

Wow! My garage found the go-faster button :) I've had them remove the EGR system and it's sooo much smoother through the rev band. They fitted a performance air filter as well and re-adjusted the mixture. I can make her wheel-spin again ... In third :)))

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Watch that gearbox.