Engine revving up and down (Saab 9000 CSE 5spd)

I am having idling trouble. The engine is revving up and down. I have checked the hoses, they seem to be okay.

What is the deal????

Reply to
jtnorton

What vintage is this 9000? If it isn't the hoses, the next thought would be the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve - a bit more expensive than a few feet of hose.

Good luck.

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Walt Kienzle ( snipped-for-privacy@core.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's worth taking the IAC off and giving it a damn good clean out with an aerosol of carb cleaner - worked wonders on my 900 with similar variable idle speeds.

Reply to
Adrian

Check all hoses. Symptoms sounds very much like a vacuum leak. There is a small 2cm hose on back of manifold for extraction of crankcase fumes. The end might well be split. Look also under to hose. I have repaired this twice on my 1993 9000 CSE. First time i could cut off an inch of hose. Second time I cut off an inch again, but fitted a small new hose section with a stud to old hose.

Reply to
johannes