Exhausted! classic 900i

Decided to change the rear box on my 1990 saab 900i (8v) myself - how hard can it be... I thought.

Purchased a bosal rear exhaust section from german and swedish, I pointed out the new unit had an oval silencer wheras the existing one is round but was assured it was the correct part for my model and that different manufacturers maybe produced different shapes.

After a lot of work finally got the old exhaust section off, low and behold that was also Bosal, quick inspection showed the two to be very similar bar the different shaped silencers.

The new section easily slid onto the center box and all looked fine - from my position under the center box, that is until I got round to see where the tail pipe was. Instead of somewhere in the region of the bumper cut out, the tail pipe was sticking out the side of the bumper, I managed to get it on the hanger by forcing it but it was still pushing against the edge of the bumper to the side of the cut out, but worse still now the inverted 'v' section of the exhaust that goes over the rear axle was touching the rear suspension part and causing a rattle with the engine running.

As a temporary solution I have clamped the rear section on only just over halfway along the sleeving (i.e. the exhaust is not pushed on as far as it should go). Like this is it is away from the suspension and the tail pipe when on the hanger is just touching the outer edge of the bumper cut out - I then used a piece of wire to pull it over towards the cut out so it doesn't melt the bumper.

So not an ideal solution and hopefully a temporary measure, any ideas what I can do? Does it sound like the wrong part? Was thinking of maybe trying to heat a section and bend slightly but dont want to risk damaging the weld to the silencer.

Has anyone had any similar experience? Any help much appreciated.

Regards, Gwilym.

Reply to
GG

I've seen some c900s around with oval shaped muffflers/silencers.

I had a similar experience aligning the rear muffler with the hanger, but not as bad as you desccribe. The new muffler kept coming off the hanger while driving, but that problem has gone away since I replaced the rear springs. I think the axle was banging into the pipe and knocking it off the hanger.

Are your rear springs sagging? That might be part of your problem with the axle touching the exhaust..

John

Reply to
John B

Hi John, no the rear springs seem fine. Got the car over a pit and had a good look, the exhaust had been knocking against a strut brace, also it looks like the center box has been bent a bit at some point, I'll try replacing that too.

Thanks for the help. Regards, Gwilym.

Reply to
GG